Gynecomastia in NYC with Local Anesthetic/Twilight Sedation?

Possible to perform Gynecomastia surgery under local anesthesia? It's a mild case. Slightly elevated breast+nipples. I know some doctors excuse is compromised results but it's just fat removal no sculpting involved

Depends on the Doctor

+1

Doctors have different way of providing anesthesia.  Some use local,iv sedation or general.  I alway use general anesthesia to make the patient comfortable, control bleeding, and  provide easy adequate disection.  The extent of dissection is wider than you think, sort of the tip of the iceberg.  Your plastic surgeon will guide you well.

Some gynecomastia procedures can be done under twilight

+1

If your gynecomastia doesn't require extensive skin excision, you may be a great candidate to have your surgery done under twilight with local anesthesia.  In fact, this is very commonly done.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

No problem with local anaesthesia

+1

I have performed gynecomatia surgery entirely under local anaesthesia without difficulty. If the skin is very loose, then a longer scar may be needed, but this is rare. Good luck, N. Huq

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Local anesthesia is a great option

+1

Personally I perform more then 50% of the Gynecomastia Surgery under local anesthesia .More  people like it and prefer it over general anesthesia.I do perform more then 250 Gynecomastia Surgeries each year. y

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia Surgery While Awake is Reasonable

+1

It seems from your query that you just have a small amount of gynecomastia - this is certainly correctable under local anesthesia.  Typically the male breast can be contoured to a degree with liposuction, but there is often a dense glandular component under the nipple/areola that requires direct excision via an incision around the areola.  There should be no issues with compromised results, or safer this or that, it typically has to do with the surgeon's (and your) comfort levels in performing work under local.  If you are awake, with or without some additional oral or IV sedation, you are going to feel things to a degree, including periods of discomfort.  This is typically noted during the phases of the operation where numbing medication is administered (ie injected).  You will also feel pressure during the operation, hear things, and even smell tissue being cauterized.  If any of these things bother you, then by all means, don't do it under local.  If you think you can tolerate it, then this should be a reasonable and less expensive option.

Samuel Sohn, MD

Gynecomastia under Local/Twilight Anesthesia

+1

Many patients with gynecomastia will have pseudogynecomastia, which means that it is only fatty and/or skin excess and not a true firm glandular component to their condition.  These cases are amenable to liposuction alone and can be performed well under Twilight anesthesia.  If there is a firm glandular component, we have to do something in addition to liposuction alone, using either an incision or more modern minimally invasive techniques for ablation of the glandular component.  Depending on your surgeon, these can also be performed under Twilight anesthesia.  For minimal deformities, these may be performed under local anesthesia alone depending on the severity.  Best wishes on achieving your goals.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia anesthesia

+1

I have performed gynecomastia under local anesthesia however it depends on the patients presentation. A small amount of tissue may be amenable to correction with local only but with larger volumes I prefer conscious sedation because of the increased patient comfort. I should note there are different levels of conscious sedation..

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Gyencomastia and local

+1

Gynecomastia surgery can be performed with sedation and local.  It is done this way all the time.  Liposuction and/or direct excision are usually the most common methods.  Good luck.

Gynecomastia surgey can be performed under local anesthesia

+1

To answer your question--yes.  As long as it's a relatively small case and the patient is calm and without too much anxiety, IV sedation works very well for this type of procedure.  Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD

It can be done that way

+1

If it is a small case, then it can be done that way, but often you have some breast tissue that must be excised at the same time. Most well trained plastic surgeons have excellent anesthesiologists working with them, and it is safer and more comfortable for the patient to have a mild general anesthesia other than light sedation. But if you must have sedation only, then it can be done that way.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD