Can You Use Gum Countouring (With Laser) While on Accutane?

I am a 26 yrs old female on my 4th month of accutane 40mg, I have braces which will come off in 2 months and would like to have laser countouring of gumline for 4 upper teeth and also whitening. I am wondering if this is safe? or is it contraindicated for the oral mucosa as it is for skin.

Dental Laser use with Accutane

+2

Accutane is known to increase hypersensitivity to sunlight in some patients.  These patients will get sunburned faster.  There are no known contraindications for the use of a dental laser for gum surgery, such as your gingiva re-contouring question.

The dental surgery laser uses a very confined beam.  Tooth whitening lasers and lights have a much broader exposure.  For this reason I would not advise laser tooth whitening for your case.  There are many great products for teeth whitening used in the dental office that do not use a light or laser.  Discuss the availability of one of these products with your dentist.  Without lights, I have had phenomenal success with my whitening patients.

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist