Can You Use Gum Countouring (With Laser) While on Accutane?

I am a 26 yrs old female on my 4th month of accutane 40mg, I have braces which will come off in 2 months and would like to have laser countouring of gumline for 4 upper teeth and also whitening. I am wondering if this is safe? or is it contraindicated for the oral mucosa as it is for skin.

Dental Laser use with Accutane

Accutane is known to increase hypersensitivity to sunlight in some patients.  These patients will get sunburned faster.  There are no known contraindications for the use of a dental laser for gum surgery, such as your gingiva re-contouring question.

The dental surgery laser uses a very confined beam.  Tooth whitening lasers and lights have a much broader exposure.  For this reason I would not advise laser tooth whitening for your case.  There are many great products for teeth whitening used in the dental office that do not use a light or laser.  Discuss the availability of one of these products with your dentist.  Without lights, I have had phenomenal success with my whitening patients.

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist