Going Bigger After First Breast Augmentation

I just got Saline breast implants 16 days ago. I am 24 years old, 5'1 in height and weighs 100 lbs. Before, I was about a 34A but could fit into a 32B bra. I had 275CC implants put in. I am really regretting not going bigger. I really think I should have went to get 325CC implants. If I decide to go bigger by 50CC, how much bigger would it be, and how long would I have to wait to have it done? Also, how much would it cost? Can I still use the saline implants I currently have?

You should wait for them to heal before making any changes

+2

Maggie,

Your problem is very common - deciding that you want larger implants. However, please be patient as you should allow your body to recover from the surgery you just had. Every time you have additional surgeries, you are undergoing a small, but real risk. So, it is best to wait and not make any rash decisions. However, if you do decide to change your implant size, I would suggest going with more than a 50 cc change - this small amount will not be appreciable. Additionally, you will need different implants than the ones you currently have since there is a recommended fill volume specific for each implant. So, the cost will likely be similar to your initial surgery. Also, you may want to consider silicone implants if you have your implants changed out.

I hope you find this helpful.

Increasing your Implant Size

+1
First of all I would say that you are very early in your post-operative period. I would wait at least six months for all of the swelling to subside prior to making any decisions on your implant size.

Second 50cc is typically not significant difference to undergo another surgery. I usually encourage patients to increase their implants size by at least 100cc if they are going to change their implants and want to have a noticeable difference.

Johnny Franco, MD

Breast Augmentation Revision Costs

+1
The cost for revision surgery is based on a number of factors. Typically, it is less with the original surgeon than other surgeons. You will probably need to change the implants and this generally should not be done before six months post original surgery. Consult with your surgeon and two other board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.  

The cost for Breast Augmentation revision like other cosmetic surgery varies considerably across the country and even in the same area. South Florida tends to have lower fees then more expensive areas such as New York or Los Angeles. We charge $2800 + MD Anesthesia related costs for breast lift with saline implants. Gel Implants tend to be about $1000 to $1500 more. Since you can get quality work at lower costs, patients will travel from throughout the state, the country, and internationally to have surgery in South Florida.

To ensure that you are receiving quality work with personalized care at the most cost effective prices, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own nationally accredited facilities. The quality must be maintained at the highest level to maintain accreditation. The surgeons also have incentive to hire and train quality staff (to ensure that surgery is efficient and enjoyable), to ensure comfortable and private facilities (to encourage referral), and to eliminate waste (to ensure that these facilities can compete effectively).

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Wait three to four months

+1
You should wait for at least three to four months before considering revision surgery to upsize your implants. This is because it generally takes this long for your breasts to settle, giving you a better idea of your surgical results. However, please note that 50cc would be a rather minor increase that you may not even notice.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Be patient!

+1
You are so early after breast augmentation that there is no reason to even think about a revision operation at this time.  I would have you wait until 6 months to evaluate your results.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Give it time before opting for a re-operation

+1

You are very early after your original surgery.  Best advice is to give it some time.  Adding 50 cc to the implant is not going to give you much of a change.  So if you want to go larger in the future you may need to consider a larger implant.  

Regretting not going larger with breast implant augmentation surgery

+1

You have many questions about going bigger and your first task is to find a surgeon willing to do it. To put it in perspective 50 cc is about 3 tablespoons, you should wait about 4-6 months, costs vary by surgeon and implant and facility, and NO you should not use the same implants unless the fill volume is permitted with existing implant or are willing to except the risks of overfill, etc.

In regards to going bigger after breast augmentation

+1

Unfortunately, patients are occasionally dissatisfied with their breast size after breast augmentation.  This is precisely why so much time is spent discussing implant size before surgery.  Still, 16 days after surgery is much, much too soon to be drawing conclusions about the implant size.  Patients should wait a minimum of 3-6 months before considering further breast surgery.  In regards to the selection of larger implants, 50cc bigger is not enough to notice much of a difference.  For petite patients, one full cup size is generally 120cc.  If a revision is planned, I definitely do not advise adding fluid to the same implants.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Going bigger after breast augmentation

+1

Your breasts will change, soften and settle, over the first year after breast augmentation surgery.  16 days after surgery is really too early to see your final results--give it at least 4 months. 

Also, 50cc is NOT at all worth a second surgery.  You won't notice the difference in volume, as it's just not that much.   And I would say it's not worth the risk of another operation to add just that small amount of fluid.  Your current implants may or may not hold the addtional fluid--it depends on their volume and how they were filled initially.  For a real size difference, you would need a new, larger implant.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Going bigger after primary breast augmentation

+1

Maggie, I think you should wait at least 6 months before thinking about another surgery. You still have some recovery to do, and who knows, you might end up liking your final size. If you are then still unhappy with your size, i would talk with your surgeon and review your options. It takes about  200cc to make a cup size, so 50cc with be a subtle change. Cost will depend on your doctor and the facility.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon