Possible to Go from Full Dentures to Implants?

I have had my full upper/lower dentures for over a year and I hate them - they hurt, make me gag and I can't eat. Adhesives don't work for longer than an hour or so and when using the adhesive, I feel such an uncomfortable fullness in my mouth - will going to implants feel diffent?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Go for it!!

+1

Absolutely you can have implants done.  You will feel and function soo much better.  It will be a life changing experience.  Depending on how much bone you have left, you may require some bone grafting or bone augmentation techniques to get the best possible result.  There are some that advocate as few as 4 implants on the top and 3 on the bottom to support a full arech of teeth.  THis is not enough.  In the feild we have a saying "All on 4, none on 3".  Meaning that if you only have 4 implants supporting the prosthesis and one fails, then you may lose the whole prosthesis - not good.  It is best to overengineer and have 6 to 8 implants on the top and 5-6 on the bottom.  In doing so you are building in insurance such that if one fails .  THe rest are still enough to hold the prosthesis and the failed implant can be delt with and re-comissioned over time.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Implants offer superior benefits over dentures

+1

For most people, dentures are extremely difficult to get use to and function properly with. Gagging is not uncommon and dentures often move during chewing. Also they cause gradual loss of bone.

Dental implants provide a great solution for patients with no teeth. A design as simple as two implants can make a great difference in one's life. Four implants offers yet better stability and support. With two or four implants, an overdenture can be well supported, but still has flanges extending into the palate. With more implants, it is possible to reduce the palatal flange which makes it even more comfortable to use.

You will eat better, smile more, feel more confident, and never need a denture adhesive again.

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Get Dental Implants to Get Rid of Your Dentures

+1

You can absolutely get dental implants to replace you dentures.  A prosthesis retained by dental implants allows a less bulky prosthesis or replacement teeth. This will get rid of the "fullness" you write about. I have yet to meet a patient that does not like there dental implants better than a denture.  There are several different ways to restore your teeth on dental implants and all have different costs associated with them.  Have a consult with a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon to discuss your options.  I am sure you will not be disappointed.  Not only will you look better, you will feel better

Web reference: http://drbdorfman.com

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Replacing dentures with dental implants

+1

You are probably an ideal candidate for dental implants.  By placing 4 implants in each arch, you can have a set of natural looking teeth placed that attach directly to the implants.  No more difficulty eating or speaking or uncomfortable fullness in your mouth.  It can be a second chance at having teeth again.  I recommend having an evaluation done to determine if implants are an option for you.  It could dramatically change your quality of life.

Walnut Creek Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implants to replace a denture

+1

If you have implants, you can get rid of the palate on your denture, so you won't be gagging.

If you get implants, typically, it will greatly improve your chewing function.

If you get implants, you won't need adhesive and you should be able to eat fine with them.

If you get implants, you can get rid of the bulky feeling from the flange of a traditional denture.

San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

Implants Will Improve Your Dentures

+1

Take a look at what my patient had so say about his implant experience.

Southlake Cosmetic Dentist

Yes, you can go from dentures to implants

+1

Implants work well for people like yourself that dont tolerate dentures very well. Implants can be placed on both upper and lower arches and bridges placed over them which are not removable. Or they can do dentures similar to yours that are attached to implants abutments under them. the later is a little cheaper but the first class treatment are the fixed bridges. It will change your life and give you full ablility to chew food like the old days.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Implants can change your life

+1

Well planned and executed implant supported dentures can change your life for the better.

Your dentist can guide you in selecting what would work best for you, but he could use as litle as 2 implants to stabilize just your lower denture or he could use multiple implants in both arches to support fixed dentures that would feel like having your teeth back.

No more plastic covering your palate no more loose dentures, solid teeth that you could bite apples with, if you wanted to

There are limitations, however: if  the bone remaining in your jaw is insufficient, you may have to have additional procedures to augment the bone, If you have medical conditions affecting your capacity to heal after surgery implants may be contraindicated.

If you're having trouble keeping your dentures in place, your dentures may be ill fitting, or  the bone support under them may also be poor.

An experienced dentist or team of dentists  should evaluate your case and help you make the best decision that fits your condition.

Alpharetta Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants are great alternatives to dentures

+1

It is very common for people to hate dentures!  Implants are a great alternative, as they can replace the denture, or make the denture stay put.

There are many options with dental implants, so a consultation with your dentist is required.  He will make recommendations determined by your bone structure, budget and desired outcome.

Web reference: http://www.bestSeattleDentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist