How Long After Bone Grafts and Dental Implants Before Playing Horn Again?

My daughter is having bone grafting and then dental implants for the two teeth next to her front teeth. The baby teeth fell out without permanant ones behing them. I am wondering about how much pain is involved, how long before she is able to eat real food but most importantly how long before she can blow on her horn again for band. I have heard several differant answers and don't want her to risk ruining the grafts.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Returning to normal activities after implant and bone grafting

+1

Although the recovery can vary in each person depending on their healing potential and complexity of surgery being performed, I can give you the following general guidelines:

1. Seven to 14 days before returning to normal diet
  2. Probably 10 to 14 days before playing horn (After the first week, if she feels comfortable she might do it sooner, but best to check with the surgeon for clearance)
  3. Pain typically lasts for five to seven days, but can be less for less complex and invasive procedures.

Overall, it's best to follow the instructions for two weeks. After that time, most people are fine getting back to routine activities.

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Bone grafts need 3-6 months on average

+1

Grafting takes time.  Depending on locations, 3-6 months is usually enough healing time before implants can be placed, and an additional 3-6 months for the implants to integrate and heal.

The treating surgeon will be able to give a good estimate.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

It's up to the surgeon

+1

Each surgeon will give you specific instructions following surgery of any kind. The internet is NOT the place to ask questions like this. We can not give you professional advice about a surgery for your daughter. There will be down time for sure and diet restrictions.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist