Is Full Body Chemical Peel Possible?

I have dark marks everywhere, my legs,face, stomach and my back. My skin tone is medium brown. Which peel is best for me?

Full body chemical peels are appropriate for some people

+2

Full body chemical peels are appropriate for some people. I have been using this technique for over 20 years to improve pigmentation problems and sun damage. We use lower strength peels on the chest, back, arms and legs than we do on the face. Usually a series of peels are recommended. As always find an experienced dermatologist who has been performing chemical peels for many years.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Full Body Chemical Peel

+1

It is possible to do a chemical peel on your full body, but it should be done in series. Only 25% of your body surface area should be treated during a single treatment.

Some examples of peels that are good for darker skin types are the VI peel, Rejuvenize, and lactic acid. It is best to consult with a skin care professional in order to get a treatment that is tailored to your needs and goals.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Ahh...No!

+1

Dear Jay

Chemical peels are really only good for the face. Facial skin is unique on the body because of its density of stem cells from which the facial skin can heal. Peels and laser resurfacing stimulate these cells to repopulate the facial skin after partially wounding the skin. All other parts of the body lack the density of stem cells need to regenerate the skin. When for example skin of the chest is chemically peeled this lack of stem cells can result in scaring rather than regeneration of the skin. Not a good thing.

Technology like dye tuned lasers and intense pulsed light can be used to target chromophores (structures with color) in the skin. This allows a means of targeting pigmented skin lesions off the face without damaging the skin. A cosmetic dermatologist is a good choice to discuss options available for addressing your skin concerns.