Could I Go from 500 Cc to 1000 Cc?

I currently have 500 cc HP silicone implants and want to go larger, desirably to 1000 cc. I am 5'10" and weigh 185 lbs. I have always had small upper body but large hips and legs. I like large breasts and want mine to be proportionate to the rest of my body, otherwise why bother going thru painful and expensive surgery? Most doctors don't talk about extra large implants, in fact they seem to be discouraging the idea. How should I approach the question during a consultation?

Time, weight and gravity

Body image is different for each individual.   What one person feels is attractive others may think differently.   The main problem with overly large implants is due to stress on the soft tissue due to the weight of the implant.   Time, weight and gravity are not on your side.  

Larger Breast Implants?

There is nothing to be embarrassed about " liking larger breasts”. The important thing is to communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon.

In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful. .I have found that the use of words such as “larger” or “DD cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Simply by providing a photo from a plastic surgeon's web site demonstrating what you would like to look like. 
It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Going XL

I have lots of experience with XL implants, and the most important thing is to find a surgeon willing to go as big as you want, have a consultation, and see what their recommendations are. XL implants can be tricky and certain steps need to be taken to reduce the likelihood of complications, but patients do love them!

1000 cc Breast Implants

I am not surprised that you are meeting some resistence from many Plastic Surgeons.  Any implant in that range is considered very large and the reasons we discourage it is because it can have significnatly higher rate of complications. It can also cause atrophy of the breast tissue that you have and also can cause a concave deformity of your ribcage, not to mention potential problems with you back, neck and spine.  If you are determined to do this, you will need to find a board certified plastic surgeon willing to do it, which may be difficult. Please do not go to a non-board certified plastic surgeon or someone who says they are a "certified cosmetic surgeon". 

1000 cc implants

First the largest implant made in the US is 800 cc's. Saline implants can be overfilled to 1000 I suppose. Either way, these implants are very large and the heavier the implant the more problems you can have.

Super sized breast implants??

The question about 1000 cc. breast implants is not could it be done ,but rather should it be done. Think about adding another 21/2 lbs to your chest and the ramifications on your spine , shoulder muscles, and skin before you do this-and theshape of your breasts as you age.

Please see my previous posts on this subject on this site

Barry H. Dolich, MD (Retired)
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Large Breast Augmentation

You may have the chest size and the desire to handle 1000cc implants, but the real limiting issue is the size of available breast implants. The largest silicone gel implant that is available is 800cc. The largest saline breast implant is also 800cc but it can be filled to 960cc per manufacturer's recommendations. In essence, you can get there in saline but silicone implants. Whether that should be done and would be advised by different plastic surgeons is variable. The issue is whether you have the soft tissue to support that size of implant over the long-term.