Fraxel for Melasma?

I have been advised to have Fraxel treatments for Melasma in various spots on my face--as a result of being put on hormones to reduce fibroids. Any time I am in the sun even with 70 sunscreen, the Melasma darkens. I am very afraid that the Fraxel will make the Melasma worse or put Hyperpigmentation where I didn't have it to begin with. I am Sicilian with dark hair and olive complexion. Also, can they just do the laser on the spots needed? The PA said they need to do the entire face. And should I trust a PA to do the procedure?

Which Fraxel are you referring to?

+2

Can you please elaborate on which Fraxel so that I can best answer your question, thanks. As a dermatologist, I recommend you only have your treatments done by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that has a lot of laser experience.....that will help to ensure that you get the best treatment possible. Take care, Dr. Groff

San Diego Dermatologist

Fraxel Restore Dual is the best option to improve the condition

+1

While there is no laser cure for Melasma, a treatment with Fraxel can help to improve the condition. The Fraxel Restore Dual should be used for treatment, not Fraxel Repair, because the risk of causing spots to darken after treatment increases with Fraxel Repair. To ensure a quality treatment, a physician, such as dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon, with years of experience, should be used.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel for Melasma

+1

Melasma is very difficult to treat and has a tendency to recur.  In addition to using creams containing hydroquinone, treatment with the Fraxel restore may help improve melasma.  I would not recommend getting treated with the Fraxel repair, or with any fractionated carbon dioxide laser, because of the high risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.  There is a risk of this happening with Fraxel restore, but it is much lower.  You should only be treated by a physician, one who has experience in treating this condition. 

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel for melasma

+1

There is no laser that cures melasma. The Fraxel has been shown to improve melasma in some individuals, however. In general, a lighter-skinned individual responds better to Fraxel than a darker-skinned individual. In terms of the PA, there’s no way to answer your question without me knowing the qualifications of the PA. Some are very good with Fraxel treatments, while others are not. You will need need to determine the experience of your PA.

David Goldberg, MD