Chemical Peel Vs. Fraxel Laser for Facial Rejuvenation?

I'm 45 years old and want to do some facial rejuvenation, especially around the eyes. I was considering Fraxel but have been reading some negative reviews online. They say it could take years for the negative results to show up, and that it causes DNA changes to the undamaged skin. Is Chemical Peel a safer approach? Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.

Chemical peel vs. Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing

+2

Both TCA chemical peel and Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing are excellent options for reversal of prior sun damage, i.e. diminishing future risk of skin cancer. However, Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing will afford more stimulation of collagen and tightening vs. TCA chemical peel. Both treatments may result in transient post-inflammatory redness or pigmentation, particularly for ethnic skin. If reversal of sun damage is the priority, TCA chemical peel offers the best value. If facial rejuvenation is the priority, Fractional CO2 laser resurfacing may be preferable.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

+2

I am a fan of fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing for the face and especially around the eyes.  It gives excellent results.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fraxel vs chemical peels

+2

Gale,

Fraxel is a non-ablative method of skin rejuvenation. It tries to create "damage" to the deeper layer of the skin in order to have the collagen tighten-up and remodel itself. Usually, patients require at least 5-6 treatments over a period of time before they see results.

A medium or deep chemical peel, as performed by physicians, is an ablative method of skin rejuvenation. It "damages" the outer surface of the skin down to the collagen layer allowing new skin to replace the old.

Chemical peels have been around for a long time and have shown excellent results in just one treatment. Because it is more intense than the nonablative methods, there are more risks associated with it. This includes lightening the skin too much and prolonged redness (1-3 months). Both of which are somewhat expected and can be controlled if the right techniques are used.

In conclusion, the results with Fraxel are minimal... but the risks are low. The results with physician strength chemical peels are excellent with one treatment, but the risks are higher.

Be sure you consult with a surgeon who has a lot of experience in all forms of skin resurfacing. Thanks for your question.

Henry Daniel Sandel IV, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fractional co2 laser for skin resurfacing and hand resurfacing - Los Angeles

+1

I believe the SmartXide Fractional CO2 laser is the best option for those patients who have lighter skin types.  I prep patients with Melarase creams prior to laser, if indicated. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Fraxel is amazing for Skin Rejuvenation

+1

I was quoted in Vogue Magazine that "I wish I had invented the Fraxel laser" and it is true.  I am not sure what negative reviews you have read but it is an entirely elegant and effective may to rejuvenate the skin.  It is my favorite procedure because everyone is happy and looks great! Please find an experienced board certified dermatologist with extensive cosmetic dermatology background in lasers, especially Fraxel.

Michele S. Green, MD

Chemical peel vs Fraxel laser

+1

I prefer the fractional CO2 laser called SmartXide DOT.  The settings can be individualized for each patient and the area being treated.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for assessment and treatment.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist