CO2 Laser or Accutane for Fordyce's Spots?

What can I do about Fordyce's spots? Can CO2 Laser or Accutane help?

Fordyce spots

+2

I agree with above. I think CO2 laser is an overkill for fordyce spots and I would not recommend it. Electrocautery may work  and would recommend a test spot.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyrfrequation for Fordyce Spots

+2

Neither, light electrosurgical destruction or dessication with the hyfrequator is my preferred method of ablation.

CO2 can be used, but it is overkill for this condition.  I do not think Accutance would work, but never tried it, as Accutane is not indicated for this condition.

Robert Strimling, MD

Treatment of Fordyce spots

+2

Fordyce spots/glands are harmless, but can be treated with application of an acid (e.g. TCA), or use of a hyfrecator by your dermatologist. CO2 laser would work as well.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Fordyce spots

+2

Fordyce spots are essentially superficial oil glands of the skin. I have had success with simple, light hyfrecation or electrocautery (application of an electrical current to burn the spots). Although CO2 laser would probably be effective, I am not sure you would be able to achieve the pinpoint accuracy required to treat these small growths. I suppose Accutane in theory would help, but given its expected and potential side effects, the risks would outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist