Flat mole removal on the nose (Photo)

Would it be possible to remove a flat mole on the nose? I've had one my whole life and I never grew fond of it. I was considering laser mole removal but wasn't sure it was worth the risk or cost. If not, are there any alternatives?

Flat Moles Can Be Removed Without Stitches By Scalpel Sculpting Followed By Dermaplaning

+2
In my opinion and long experience, Scalpel Sculpting followed by Dermaplaning (if needed) would be the treatment of choice for removing flat moles from any location, including, as in this case, the nose.

Although removing moles by any method from the face is likely to leave a small scar, scalpel sculpting, which involves no deep cutting or stitches has, in my experience, proven quite successful for achieving gratifying aesthetic results while leaving little, or often barely perceptible, scars.

The technique, which I have been using for thirty years, involves "scultping the mole" off from the surrounding skin in a tangential fashion (i.e. not cutting deeply into the skin). Deep cutting will inevitably result in a scar, while superficial (horizontal) removal in this fashion largely avoids this. Elliptical and fusiform simply describe the resulting shape of a wound excision after cutting them out deeply and before the placement of the sutures.

• As an important aside, destructive modalities to simply destroy the mole, e.g. lasers, electrocautery, electrodessication or cryosurgery should not be performed since these simply destroy all the mole tissue and do not permit a small specimen to be sent to the lab to ensure that the mole removed was entirely benign.
If necessary, following scalpel sculpting, the borders of the mole can then be smoothed and blended with the surrounding normal skin by "dermaplaning," a technique by which the edge of the scalpel is used to delicately abrade the skin. Properly done, the entire procedure, performed under local anesthesia, takes no more than three to five minutes. In most cases, the procedure is done at the time of the consultation.

Best way to remove a flat mole on the nose

+1
A shave excision is typically the easiest, most cost effective, and least likely to scar method of removal for your mole. With this method the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The tissue that has been removed can then be sent for microscopic examination to make sure the mole is benign. From the appearance of the mole on the photograph, I believe that a shave removal would be the best way to go. Dermatologic surgeons are experts at doing this procedure.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Flat dark moles can be lightened up easily with electrofulguration or laser.

+1
Most flat moles can be made so much less noticeable by just simple burning it with electrofulguration or laser but may need a couple of sessions and will come back later. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon