Is It Possible to Fix a Hole Caused by a Navel Piercing? (photo)

I have small hole on top of my belly caused by a navel ring. It has never closed and I would like to fix since it looks ugly. What can I do and how much would it cost? Thanks.

Fixing a hole from a piercing

I fix pulled out earring holes and stretched earring holes (and gauges) all the time. It's an easy procedure for an experienced surgeon, and for the patient. You will have a tiny stitch or two after the excision of the hole, but following proper post-care you should end up with something hardly detectable and much better than the divet you have currently.

Fixing a Navel Piercing Hole

It may be possible to improve the appearance of the hole by revising the scar. The hole will need to be "cut out" and the remaining defect is then closed as a straight line. This creates a straight thin scar in the place of the hole. Although the scar will never disappear, it should be less noticeable than the hole you currently have once the scar has had enough time to fully heal, which could take up to a year. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to review the options and to discuss the potential appearance.

John Diaz, MD

Hole from piercint

You can have the hole cut out and sewn up with stitches. You will be left with a line scar which could be raised or flat. It will become less visible with time, but will never disappear

Vicki J. Levine, MD

Navel piercing scars and belly button scars

Piercing scars on the navel are amenable to layered closure and repair. I perform these in my outpatient office under sterile conditions to minimize further scarring. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS