Will Insurance Pay for a Mommy Makeover?

I have both an umbilical hernia and diastasis recti, which give me pain and other issues. Does anyone know if my insurance will pay for all or part of the surgery? Thanks.

Insurance coverage

The hernia may be covered by insurance but the diastasis recti would probably not be as it would be considered cosmetic.

Umbilical hernia and mommy makeover

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who also does reconstructive surgery.  They may be able to get the umbilical hernia portion of the procedure covered.  The rest would be considered elective and not covered by insurance.

Will insurance pay for a Mommy Makeover

Your insurance will most likely cover the cost of the hernia repair but it is highly unlikely that any insurance company today would cover the cost of the mommy makeover.

Insurance Coverage & Mommy Makeover Surgery

It would be unusual for an insurance company to cover the expense of a mommy makeover procedure. Although your umbilical hernia would probably be covered, the mommy makeover would be considered cosmetic. If the umbilical hernia was repaired at the time of the mommy makeover, your insurance carrier might cover a portion of the expense. It’s important to discuss this issue with your surgeon before proceeding with surgery.

Mommy Makeover

It is rare for insurance to pay for the MM part, but the muscle portion may qualify if you find a surgeon in network and a surgeon to do the procedure for you cosmetically.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Insurance covering Mommy Makeover

I think that insurance may cover some portion of the abdominal surgery but probably not the "mommy makeover" all together. You need to check with your insurance company and also find a surgeon who is willing to perform the procedure under your insurance.

Some offices will do the procedure for you as a "cash patient" and then bill the insurance afterwards to see what they pay and refund the patient.  Each office is different and each insurance company has their own rules.

Make some calls to see what you can find.

Good luck!

Mommy Makeover Insurance Payment

It's unlikely that your insurance will pay for a mommy makeover, because much of the operation is cosmetic in nature.  If you have an umbilical hernia repair as part of your operation, it is possible that your insurance will cover that portion of the operation.

David Stoker, MD

Insurance for Mommy Makeover

A mommy makeover is usually a combination surgery of tummy tuck and breast augmentation or breast lift. While your insurance may pay for your hernia repair which could be done at the same time it will not cover the costs of the mommy makeover.

Richard Linderman, MD

Insurance and mommy makeover

A mommy makeover procedure is generally considered to be any combination of procedures that include abdominal and breast contouring.  Insurance coverage of individual components of a mommy makeover procedure is rare but may include:

umbilical hernia

ventral hernia

breast reduction

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Insurance may cover only a hernia; not a mommy makeover

If you have an umbilical (belly button) hernia, this may be covered by your health insurance. However a tummy tuck and any breast lift with or without breast implants will not be covered as this is considered "cosmetic" and not reconstructive or functional. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine if you are a good candidate and to see if your hernia may be covered.

William Bruno, MD