Why use fillers instead of Sub-Malar implants to treat Nasal Folds?

Hi Folks, I am 32, and can see the first stages of Nasal folds developing. Fillers sound like a great solution, but the cost and frequency of them is a bit discouraging. Various sites recommend "sub-malar" implants, to treat the folds as a more permanent & lest costly (over the long run), solution, in comparison to fillers. I was hoping to get an opinion or two on the idea of utilizing sub-malar implants to improve folds, opposed to fillers. To all, thank-you for your time and efforts!

Volumizing Fillers Work Work Well For Early Nasolabial Folds

+2

In a young person, in his his/her early thirties, volumizing fillers are the quickest and simplest means of improving the beginning development of the laugh lines (nasolabial folds). Surgically implanting submalar implants, besides being much more invasive, only impact secondarily on the nasolabial folds, while also increasing cheek projection, which may not be necessary at this relatively young age. In addition, the relatively temporary nature of the volumizing filler allows for changes and additions to be made as needed as the aging process progresses. Fixed, permanent implants, on the other hand, do not change with time and what may appear fine when they are first placed may not necessarily appear so several years down the road when the surrounding areas have undergone age-related changes in bone, fat and cartilage.

For this point in time, volumizing fillers, such as Radiesse or Radiesse combined with Perlane L or Voluma would be my favorites for treating the nasolabial folds.

Nasolabial folds

+2

Fillers are the simplest method if it gives improvement to the nasolabial fold. Submalar implants can also improve the nasolabial fold but also gives fullness to the cheek. Also mid facelift can improve on the nasolabial fold, but that is more of a surgery. Fat graft to the nasolabial fold will work as long term improvement of the nasolabial fold. Only after examination and discussion with you about the pros and cons of each procedure and your desired look can one give you an advise

Samir Shureih MD. FACS

sshureih@msn.com