Will Fibrous Scars on my Sides Prevent Normal Abdomen Growth if I Become Pregnant?

I was the surviving twin of a fetus capicus (SP?) and left with a thin layer of unhealed skin over the sides of my torso and part of my back as well as my scalp. My skin healed but left thick scar tissue that is unyielding around my sides and back. Do I need to have a scar revision done in order to allow my abdomen to expand if I were to become pregnant? At 25 yrs old now I am looking at the future and am concerned. Who would do this?

Pregnancy and scars on flanks and back

+1

The good news is that the portion of the body that expands during pregnancy is primarily the anterior (front) and only partially the flanks (sides).  Since the expansion of the abdomen is gradual, the normal skin on the front may be able to accomodate the stretching.

I agree with Dr. Stone that if there is very little normal skin to expand, you may need treatment of the area before getting pregnant.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar revision

+1

If it is unyielding I would think you would want it treated whether or not you get pregnant. However without knowing what the scar looks like or how much lax skin surrounds the scar it is impossible to know which method of scar revision would be best. If the adjacent skin laxity is minimal you may need to have it expanded first.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD