Fibrous Papule on Nose

I have a fibrous papule on the tip of my nose. I use a razor almost daily to lessen it. Is laser treatment the best way to remove this permanently? What laser type is recommended? Thank You, Any help is very appreciated. Steve

Fibrous papule of the nose

+2

A fibrous papule of the nose is also often called an angiofibroma. It can be nicely reduced in size and appearance with a hyfrecator/electrosurgery. Liquid nitrogen can also be helpful, as can a gentle shave excision. See you dermatologist for the best option in your case.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

I probably wouldn't use a laser to treat a fibrous papule...

+2

I think you could get better results with a shave excision done by your dermatologist.  It is slightly more than what you probably do to it with your razor.  The PDL would help with the redness.  A CO2 laser could be used, but I feel that a shave excision would work better (and you would get a diagnosis as the specimen would be sent for pathology).

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser or shave with a blade. Recurrence can occur...

+1
This is a very common condition that I am faced with on a daily basis. I ALWAYS tell patients that I do not over correct- namely with what ever method I employ, the lesion is flush with your skin. This ensures that no divets or depressions are made. 

To answer your question, the simplest way to remove (and confirm) that this is a fibrous papule is often a shave. I use either an Erbium or CO2 ablative laser to buff the edges. I always send off for testing (hence the shave first), because 1 in 20 cases maybe a BCC or skin cancer. 

This procedure has a very good rate of clearance, but recurrence can be seen in 20% or more of cases- if it recurs, the procedure can be repeated. 
Make sure you see someone who has done this before, over correction is bad and can leave you with a permanent depression. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Aesthetic, Skin and Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, 
Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Removal of a fibrous papule on the nose

+1

Since you do not mention bleeding when you shave your papule, it is probably a white angiofibroma.  It could be removed with a CO2 laser; however, it would be very simple to do a shave excision and send the tissue to the lab for analysis.  Please see a dermatologist for removal. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Nose laser treatment

+1

Nose angiofibroma can be removed with electrocautery, or laser therapy such as e.g. CO2 resurfacing or BBL to decrease redness.  Best is to get assessed by a dermatologist.

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Laser Surgery

+1

I like the CO2 if you have a small spot size, a Vbeam, or 532 laser.  All of these lasers can help. Thank you for your question and good luck.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

KTP lasers can be effective in treating fibrous papules of the nose.

+1

KTP lasers can be effective in treating fibrous papules of the nose. The depth of the KTP laser is superficial and therefore it is ideal for treating a superficial lesion.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Fibrous papule removal on the nose

+1

Fibrous papule is a benign growth that is often found on the nose in individuals with history of sun damage. Shave excision by an experienced dermatologist typically offers the best cosmetic outcome. Ablative laser should not be used as a first line unless pathology has been determined and skin cancer ruled out.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Get a biopsy for your Fibrous Papule

+1

In order to get a better understanding of what you and your doctor are dealing with you need to have a biopsy for your Fibrous Papule. It is considered a naevus and should not be treated without more information.
When you are ready to undergo any esthetic procedure, it is best to have a consultation with a board certified cosmetic doctor or dermatologist who you trust, in your case a dermatologist. They will give you the honest answers for your unique situation (your starting point, your objectives and your budget). It is at this consultation that you will really find out if this is a good procedure for you. Any esthetic tool needs to be in the right hands, to achieve the best possible results.

Steven Bernstein, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Lasers to treat fibrous papules on the nose

+1

A pulsed dye laser may be used to reduce redness and bleeding associated with a fibrous papule. Several treatments may be necessary for best results. In addition, sometimes a fractional laser or an ablative carbon dioxide laser may be used to flatten the lesion completely. Good luck

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist