How Can I Recover Faster from Cheek Implants?

I had my lower blepharoplasty (fat sparing) on January 23 and I had heavy bruising on the right eye. I even had blood shots at the sclera. It slowly went away though. On Feb 17, I had my cheek implants done and now I am so swollen at my jowls. I am taking Bromelain, Vitamin C, Arnica, how could I make the recovery speedy? Could diuretics and Vitamin K Menadione also affect my recovery?

Recovery after facial surgery

+4

Thanks for the question.

Your best way to improve the speed of your recovery is relatively simple.

Follow your plastic surgery post-op orders including care for the incisions, positioning, medications and activity levels. These are all specifically tailored for your procedure and your specific medical issues. Plastic surgeons have specific care instructions at different stages of the recovery process to maximize speed of healing, comfort and end result.

Be careful about advice from others who are not directly involved in your care. No one understands what you need for a speedy recovery better than your doctor.

Generally we would recommend no strenuous activity, head elevation and closely following incision care instructions.

Recovery after cheek implant surgery

+2

Patients can expect swelling and bruising after cheek implant surgery. During this procedure, implants are placed directly over the bone. Whenever we manipulate the bone and facial surgery patients can experience significant swelling and bruising. To help alleviate this, it is recommended to place ice onto the affected areas and to elevate your head as much as possible. Discuss with your plastic surgeon the diet that he wishes you to be on and if any mouthwashes are recommended. This is important if the implants were placed on intraoral approach.

You are going through normal cheek implant recovery

+2

Malar and submalar implants can be very rewarding AFTER the initial swelling has subsided. We routinely prepare our patients for 7 to 10 days of recovery before they START recognizing the improvements, but it still will not be the final result. It is this needed patience that makes recovery after cheek implants sometimes challenging.

Otherwise, I have not much to add to the recommendations provided by the other surgeons.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery!

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Avoid diuretics after cheek implants

+2

I would agree with my colleagues. Manual lymphatic drainage is excellent to reduce facial swelling.

Of course, swelling will be worse in the morning.

Avoid using diuretics. They will have minimal effects on the face and could cause other problems.

Quick recovery

+2

Keep your stress levels down, avoid any exercise or activities that would increase your heart rate and blood pressure, avoid aspirin, Motrin, Vit E and many herbals, use ice and manual lymphatic drainage and you will be doing about all you can to hasten your recovery. Mother nature will take care of the rest.

You are doing everything right

+2

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly and it may just take time for the swelling to go away. You can look into lymphatic massage or ultrasound therapy as well which may help the tissues drain faster. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.RealPlasticSurgery.com

Just arnica and wait if all labs are ok

+2

Swelling and bruising is a function of so many body parameters including capillary fragility,platelets and coagulation numbers. If all you pre operative labs were normal i would just take the arnica and wait for the bruising to go away. Small doses of steroids are given sometimes following face lift surgery to help with the swelling .However,as any other medication,it has side effects.The one that we fear is hip necrosis.Hope that helps!

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/face-lift/

There are no herbs or extracts that will decrease swelling after surgery.

+1

Any operation, including cheek implants is associated with some swelling.  Arnica, Vitamin C, or any of the other numerous chemicals sold for swelling will help.  As healing proceeds at different rates for different individuals, the swelling subsides.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com

Healing takes 2-3 months

+1

Cheek implants are placed underneath the periosteum of the bone, and because of that it takes several weeks to a month for the swelling to subside. Full healing where all of the swelling has subsided could take two to three months. Bromelain and arnica will very minimally help any recovery. Prednisone pills will also help in the short term.

Swelling after Cheek Implants

+1

At 1 week post-op, it is normal to have jowl swelling after cheek implants. Aside from ice packs and head elevation, the only other thing that I might add is a short course of methylprednisolone over 6 days. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon