Facial Exercises After Botox

Hello! How soon after Botox can I resume my facial exercises? (eye area, forehead etc..). Many thanks

Facial Exercises After Botox

+1
Shortly after your treatment, you should exercise the treated muscles for a couple of hours to help improve the absorption of the injected BOTOX®. Frown repeatedly if the muscles controlling frowning were targeted. If forehead lines were targeted, raise your eyebrows. For crow’s feet, squint and smile. You may find that performing these facial movements takes a little more effort than usual.

Re: Facial Exercises After Botox

+1

Movement of facial muscles through your exercise regimen should not affect the performance of Botox.

Botox molecules target nerve fibers that release acetylcholine which causes muscles to contract. The result of course is that the muscles are able to stay relaxed.

Regardless of whether you are using Botox for antiaging purposes or not, there is really no need for the facial exercises. Wrinkles form because the skin loses its elasticity. This makes it more susceptible to developing lines on the skin when muscles in the forehead and eye area contract.

While Botox can improve the appearance of lines on the skin by keeping the associated muscles in a relaxed state, patients can also focus on treatments that help to correct sun damage on their skin. Fraxel laser and other dermal fillers (e.g. Radiesse, Juvederm and Restylane) can be helpful. But you would need to speak to a board certified specialist  about more precise recommendations for your objectives.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Excercises after Botox are like Chicken Soup...

+1

Once Botox is injected into a muscle it diffuses and immediately begins to block the nerve impulses that cause the muscle to shorten. The effect becomes maximal by 5-7 days. There is NO scientific evidence that doing a Jim Carrey repertoire of facial contortions would in any proven way hasten or prolong the Botox effect.

In other words, facial "exercises" are a Chicken soup-like exercise. It definitely cannot "hoyt" ( Yiddish for hurt) you and it keeps you busy and entertained making you part of the health care team.

Personally, I take my patients' personal time more seriously and would recommend more useful and fulfilling personal pursuits.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Facial exercises after botox

+1

I do  not recommend any facial exercises after botox but do recommend "taking it easy for"  a few hours after treatment.

Post treatment botulinum toxin massage instructions

+1

Some instructions direct you to perform facial exercises immediately after injection while avoiding digital manipulation or massage of the area.

Moving muscles after Botox

+1

Your physician injector puts the neurotoxin in the muscles where it is supposed to go, and any diffusion is taken into account. Facial excercises are not necesssary

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Facial exercises after Botox

+1

Although it has never been proven, I accept the hypothesis that facial exercises, or moving the muscles responsible for the skin wrinkles that have been treated by Botox or Dysport might improve the effectiveness of the treatment. Theoretically, the muscle activity may "use up" the normal neurotransmitter chemical that the nerve uses to stimulate the muscle to contract and the Botox or Dysport has a better chance to get into the junction and block the further transmission of nerve signals to that muscle. We do have our patients refrain from lying flat, or bending over at the waist or performing general exericse for four hours after the Botox or Dysport to minimize a theoretical risk of migration of the product (this has not been proven either).

Ronald Shelton, MD

Posttreatment instructions for Botox

+1

While some may recommend that you use your facial muscles more after Botox injections, I persoanlly have never prescibed this.  In fact, we instruct patients to behave normally, but advise against undergoing facials for a day or so.

You just don't want the Botox (or Dysport) to "drift" into an area that was not intended.

Therefore, using you muscles excessively could theoretically contribute to this undesired "drift."

Like I said, I would go about your day as usual and avoid excessive massage of these muscles.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do prescribed facial exercises

+1

Facial exercises actually enhance the action of Botox at the neuromuscular injections and should be performed for 1-3 hours after injection by the muscles injected (i.e. frowning frequently for 90 minutes if frown lines were injected).

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Facial Exercises After Botox Injections

+1

Hi Ciccia,

You may resume "pumping up" your facial muscles as soon as you are through with your botox injections.  The only exercise not advised for at least 3 hours after your injections is laying down , and hanging upside down from anti-gravity boots.  I guess if you are a trapeeze artist you should wait a few hours as well.  Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD