Is 60,000 Dollars Too Much for a Facelift?

Today, my dentist recommended a local plastic surgeon who charges $60,000 for a facelift (presumably including ASC fees and anesthesia). He said some of his patients have used this surgeon and gotten fabulous results.

The only other quote I have gotten so far for a facelift is $30,000 all inclusive.

While I have no doubt that the surgeon that my dentist recommended is good, can the $60,000 guy really be that much better than others with prices slightly less stratospheric? (And yes, people in this town have way too much money, although I am not one of them).

60K Facelifts

You live in a part of the country where worth IS measured by the car you drive, the watch you wear, the home and neighborhood you live in and the amount of money you can afford to spend on your trainer, your dog groomer and - yes - on your Plastic Surgeon.

The dirty secret among Plastic surgeons (lawyers, actors, business execs etc) is that by RAISING their fees and compensations some people naturally assume that they are really worth such fees. This is a calculated, unabashed play for the segment of the population who enjoys and flaunts their ability to over-pay for everything.

Can you get a competent Facelift for LESS than 30K? Hell, yes. Your town is FULL of good Plastic surgeons - not all of may be known to your dentist. Many of them charge reasonable fees.

Check for some names and research them.

60K for a facelift??

I completely agree with Dr. Aldea's comments. He is right on as usual!

60K is such a bloated fee that it is ridiculous and is dangled out there only to make you think it is for better surgery. More power to the doctor who can get the public to fall for such a fee but you could get top quality results for far less. Maybe you should consider traveling. Check out photos from around the country. You need about 2 weeks to recovery and return home looking normal. The price would be just a fraction of what you are being quoted.

$60,000 facelift - Money better spent elsewhere

Thanks for your question -

There are some facelift specialists in Manhattan and LA (some of whom I have trained with) that regularly command $40K-$55K for a facelift and blepharoplasty.

They are well trained, amazing surgeons and routinely get amazing results... Having a facelift performed by them also generates a bit of a social buzz. That is to say, right or wrong, there is some social status in paying those fees and seeing those surgeons.

However, there are many well trained plastic surgeons who also routinely get great results. You may not get the social bump from having a facelift by Dr. X but you'll still get a caring physician that does a great job.

In our San Francisco area practice our fees (all inclusive) are considerably less than $60K (or even the $30K that you got quoted from your other surgeon) and our patients have been very satisfied with their results.

Decide what you're really buying and see a few more board certified plastic surgeons before you make your decision.

I hope this helps!

Is 60 K too much? I have never heard of anyone charging that much

No doubt $60,000 is a little steep. You could get first class airline tickets, stay in the Ritz Carlton, and have a Facelift just about anywhere and still come out 20-30 k ahead.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

$60K is an unreasonable facelift fee

That is a first! Wow $60K for a facelift. Does it include a C class Mercedes also? LOL. Do some more local research in your area to find reasonable fees for your facelift.

Regards from Miami.

The $60,000 Facelift - Questions to ask when seeking a Top Plastic Surgeon

$60,000 is a lot of money for a facelift. Yes, you are considering a procedure to permanetly change your face. So cleatly, you want the best. But the highest price may not be the best. On the other hand, you can be certain that the lowest rice surgeon will not be the best. 

The following are a few things that can distinguish some surgeons from others

1) Graduating from a top tier medical school at the top of their class.

2) Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha. THis is the medical honors society. Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to letters

3) Formal surgical training from prestigious medical universities. The minimum number of years of surgical training for plastic surgeons to be bord certified in five years. Some physicians have as many as ten years of formal surgical training. There simply is no substitute for stelar academic and practical surgical training.

4) Very experienced surgeons with meticulous surgical technique and natural looking outcomes will have photgraphic evidence of their work. Patients should be able to view many photos of the surgery of interest, photgraphed from three different perspectives all with similar lighting, distance from the camera and cropping

The elite experience extends beyond the surgeon to the facility, and the surgical team. You should be able to see the surgical theater and know who else will be in the OR with you during surgery. The Joint Commission (JCAHO) is an organization that provides certification to hospital OR's. The Joint Commission and AAAASF are two of the organizations that can provide certification to surgical suites. Some plastic surgeons elect to have their surgery centers dually certified.

The anesthesia experience is critical to a safe and comfortable surgical experience. A board certified anesthesiologist can administer general or MAC anesthesia. My preference is to have a board-certified anesthesiologist at the bedside of my patients for the duration of surgery.

Plastic surgeons who cater to high profile individuals who place a high value on privacy will have a private first floor entrance and exit so patients never need to be in a public lobby or elevator for pre-operative or post operative visits.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Average cost for facelift

The average facelift cost in the Seattle metroplex area ranges from $8,000 to $12,000. $60,000 for a facelift sounds exceedingly high and is not necessary for an excellent result.

Special facelift prices for special patients

I have no doubt that more than a few of my Beverly Hills collegues will charge you this much for a facelift. If your criteria for a surgeon is that they were featured in Harpers' Bazaar for doing some actor or actress's facelift, then without a doubt, you are going to pay a premium. After all, it is likely that the surgeon did the facelift at no charge in return for publicity and they will need to recover their investment with you.

That high end office with with the 2000 sq ft waiting room also comes at a high price. I will remind you of the story of the Emperor's New Clothes. Hopefully, after getting your $60,000 facelift you will have $60,000 worth of satisfaction. Of course, after boasting to your friends how much you paid for your facelift, it would be very embarassing to admit that it wasn't everything you hoped for.

It could be that you learned of this surgeon from someone in the exact same predicament. It is said that if you are going to tell a lie, make it a big one. In L.A., these can be self-fufilling things. As others have noted in this set of answers, L.A. values are a little messed up. Perhaps cognitive dissonance will be so strong that you won't dare admit to yourselft that the results are not so good.

You have posted so many times to this site about your facelift, perhaps you are so focused on this particular surgeon that you will talk yourself into paying $60,000. However, I can assure you that any of the surgeons answering this post will do a facelift that is just as good if not better than the facelift you will get for $60,000 for a fraction of this price.

Facelift Cost

The cost is way too much. I am in Orange County and most surgeons down here do not charge nearly close to that. Way over priced and no matter how good the surgeon is, the price is not justified.

You can find a great surgeon with nice results, look around on surgeons websites in your area. Go and see a few surgeons who's results you liked and take it from there.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

High cost facelifts

Paying more for a basic facelift operation does not guarantee better results. Facelift prices will bear in general what the market is willing to pay. In places like New York City, Miami, LA, and Chicago, you might pay I would expect closer to $30,000 for a facelift. I can tell you in our part of the country, here in Jacksonville, Florida patients are paying much closer to $12,000 all inclusive which may reflect why I have patients from California and New York.

The facelift procedure itself is one of the most common and straight forward facial plastic procedures that are performed. I personally cannot justify those costs for this procedure even taking into account the cost of supplies, anesthesia, facility, etc.

That being said, often times it costs more in those places due to the expectations to pay more as well as the increased cost of living, etc. While I would not let cost alone be the driving issue for surgery, certainly the procedure in my opinion does not justify those types of fees. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon