Is Eye Lid Surgery Covered by Any Kind of Medical Insurance?

I have a tiny lump on my left eyelid that I wanted removed. However, I have wanted to improve my eyelids for some time. Would this be covered by insurance?

Eyelid surgery insurance coverage.

+1

The lesion my be covered.  If you have droopy upper lids, this may sometimes be covered if the lids are blocking your vision. For that, most insurance companies will require a visual confrontation test to determine just how much of your visual field is blocked by your upper lids. Different insurance companies may have different criteria. No, you can't "cheat" the test. The test is typically done in an ophthalmologist's office.  Each patient and insurance company is different.  Seek an experienced surgeon and ask about your particular case.

Removal of a suspicious eyelid lesion is usually covered by insurance but this does not include a blepharoplasty

+1

Removal of a suspicious eyelid lesion is usually covered by insurance but this does not include a blepharoplasty. If your upper eyelids are so droopy that they affect your vision, then an upper blepharoplasty is occasionally covered by insurance if you have objective testing data that shows an improvement in your vision when your eyelids are taped up and out of the way. Unfortuantely, if you want a cosmetic upper eyelid procedure performed to improve your appearance you will need to pay the cosmetic fee to have it performed. The typical cost is about $3000-4000.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid lesion

+1

Removal of eyelid lesions can be covered by insurance if 1) they are cancerous, 2) suspicious for cancerous lesion, 3) irritating the eye.  Only a proper personal examination can determine that.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Insurance coverage of eyelid surgery

+1
Excision of an eyelid lesion may be covered by insurance. However, cosmetic surgery is not covered and the indications for establishing that a blepharoplasty is medically necessary are extremely strict. Currently, in NY, visual field studies are given very little weight because they can be manipulated and insurers will consider only unilateral corrections based on underlying conditions such as Bell's palsy, multiple sclerosis, stroke, and other conditions that you'd certainly not want to have!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Insurance coverage of eyelid surgery

+1

The short answer is that the lump may be covered by the insurance but the cosmetic aspect (blepharoplasty) definitely would not unless it interfered with your vision.

Here is the long answer: It used to be that just about all "lumps and bumps" were covered by insurance as it was considered reconstructive rather than cosmetic surgery.  The defiintion of this distinction is pretty straight forward - Reconstructive surgery means improvement of a condition that goes from abnormal towards the normal, whereas "Cosmetic" refers to improvement of a normal condition. Unfortunately, this does make a lot of difference to many insurance companies today. Instead they are more interested in correction of functional problems. That is something that interferes with your vision, irritates the eye, causes recurrent infection or dry eyes, or is a cancer (malignancy),etc.  

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Eyelid surgery and insurance coverage

+1

The lesion may be covered if it appears to be a malignant lesion, if it obscures your vision in some way, or if it is causing tearing or eye irritation.  As far as improving the appearance of the eyelids, the doctor would have to document that the eyelids were blocking the vision with a visual field exam, eyelid measurements and photos that back up these tests.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sometimes

+1

It depends on the insurance. If there has been change in the lesion, then there is a possiblity that this could be a malignant skin lesion and insurance would cover it. If not, then some insurances may consider it cosmetic.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon