I got my implants 6 days ago. How Soon Can I Explant?

I got my implants 6 days ago. I have wanted them removed since Day 1. I am not even sure why I had them put in, more for my husband, and I thought I could live with it but I can't. It is causing me to be extremely depressed. I saw my PS on Day 4 and he says that I must wait 3 months to safely have them removed under the anethesia. Is this true or can I have them safely removed sooner? I feel I need to have the removed asap.

Removing implants

+2

I'm so sorry you're in this predicament.  I'm a little concerned about how you arrived at this point--surely you had misgivings about the surgery before you had it done. Did you ever mention to your surgeon that you had doubts about doing it, or that you were doing it just for your husband?  Those would be big red flags for me before surgery.

At any rate, you can certainly have them removed anytime you wish.  There is no medical reason to wait 3 months. I wonder if your surgeon is thinking you might change your mind as you become more accustomed to them. 

I wonder how your husband will react to your implant removal (it's your decision, though, no doubt!) I also wonder if having your implants removed will solve the "depression" you're having.  I highly doubt it, and I encourage you to seek counseling or support. 

Implant explant

+2

This is clearly an unfortunate outcome.  I don't feel it is unreasonable to give this issue some time.  You have invested discomfort, time, and money into augmenting your breasts, so taking them out so soon seems premature.  If you have your heart set on an explant, there is no universal waiting period.  Thankfully, I have not faced this issue in my own patients, but it is safe to remove implants as early as the same day they were placed.  Of note, it is not unusual to undergo a brief period of depression following surgery.  I have seen many tummy tuck patients become depressed following surgery even when very happy with results.  I would definitely recommend giving this some time.  Good luck!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Breast Implant Removal Timing?

+1

Removal of breast implants can be done at any time;  please make sure you have thought out your choices carefully and avoid making  decisions based on emotions only.

Removing breast implants

+1

If you really want them out, you can probably do it at any time.  Just be absolutely sure this is what you want!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Removing Breast Implants...

+1

The sooner the better. If you don't let the breast stretch out, you should return to normal. Some internal sutures might be needed to repair the breast tissue, and close the pocket. The surgery should be relatively painless compared to the original augmentation.

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD

They can be removed.

+1

If you are sure that you do not want your implants then they can be removed at any time after surgery.  The original incisions are re-opened and the implants are removed.  Although there will be swelling, it is reasonable to expect that your breasts will return to their original size and shape in 6-12 weeks.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Removing implants

+1

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your choice to have breast implants  Many patients have "buyer's remorse" during the first week or so after surgery.  This goes away in most cases after the discomfort abates.  However, if you absolutely do not want the implants, they can be removed at any time.

Breast implants can be removed whenever

+1
There is no safety reason why your breast implants cannot be removed now. The only advantage to waiting is that you might get used to them and actually like them. Second thoughts to this degree are uncommon but not unheard of. If you really believe you do not want these implants you can have them taken out quickly provided you are in good health. If you have any doubts it does make sense to wait a bit to make sure explantation is the right way to go. Being sure is better than to quick decision to have them out followed by regrets again.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal, how soon?

+1

It is not true that you have to wait 3 months to remove breast implants after an Augmentation. In fact it would be better sooner rather than later . I have removed implants within one week after augmentation in one case and she did fine.

The reason the Doctor wants you to wait is that he is not sure that that is what you really want and the 3 months will give you time to think about it.  

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant regret?

+1

Clearly, you may have them removed earlier but it is not unusual for patient's to experience these types of feelings. In my practice, I have had 3 patients who have requested this when performed by other physicians. Some, I have operated on, while others I have refused.  Ultimately 2 came back to have the implants put back in. If you were in a plastic surgeon's shoes, what would do?