What Can I Expect After One Laser Hair Removal Session for my Upper Body? (photo)

I am an Indian male with light brown skin and black hairs. I'm hairy but not that hairy, I just want my hairs on my arms, chest and abs to be less and not completely permanently gone. If I just have one session, will my hairs grow back to the previous length or will it grow back less and if so, how much less? I have used hair removal cream a few times and it always grows back thinner and more...

Laser Hair Removal Sessions

+1

To achieve the best results, a laser hair removal treatment should be administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient. One removal session will not provide the best results.

Laser hair removal expectations

+1

Laser hair removal treatments typically require several treatments and this is because each treatment session only works on hairs that are in the growth phase (anagen), and not on the resting or shedding phases (catagen, telogen). Many people find that most of their hair falls out after laser hair removal, but that 85% or so of hairs regrow. With each treatment, 15-20% less hairs regrow until essentially most of the hair (rarely 100%) is gone.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

One time laser hair treatment of male upper body will partially help!

+1

Hi and thanks for your question!

Yes, you will notice a reduction in hair growth with one treatment and the hairs that do grow back are often finer and less noticeable. Remember, however, that one treatment will only treat the hairs that are actively growing at that moment in time. Our hairs grow through various growth phases (anagen, telogen, catagen) and in the dormant phases, those hairs may be missed with only one treatment. That is why 6 treatments are recommended about 2 months ago for permanent hair reduction. 

Good luck!

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.