How Long After SeptoRhinoplasty Can I Begin Exercising?

I had SeptoRhinoplasty 2 weeks ago to remove hump and also correct the septum area. No osteotomy was done. I have been careful to avoid strenuous activity but the other day I inadvertently jumped quickly down some steps and just wanted to find out if the jarring reaction of running or jumping down steps would cause any issues with the septum getting displaced. Also is it ok to return to lifting light weights 2 weeks after surgery, is there any chance lifting weights can cause displacement.

Septoplasty

+2

Generally speaking, the main issue with exercise it that it can increase the pressure in the nasal blood vessels and cause bleeding.  I tell my patients that they can resume exercises the next day as long as it is not too strenuous, use light weights with high reps and no heavy weights.  Full exercise resumes in 2 weeks and no contact sports for 4 weeks.

Hope this helps.

After septorhinoplasty, 14 days “off” is adequate before resuming exercise.

+1

Dear Spin2011:

Since you had your septorhinoplasty two weeks ago and you have not had any complications such as bleeding or unusual swelling, you should be ready to go. 

The reason why there is a 10-14 day wait after such procedures: The time necessary for nature to seal the little blood vessels which were disturbed during surgery is typically 10-14 days.  Once the vessels are sealed, there is much less likelihood that you will have a problem with bleeding or swelling.

As you know, strenuous exercise, and particularly lifting weights, which increases the pressure within the veins, is more likely to cause bleeding than mild exercise, such as walking.  But I would not worry at this point. 

Another concern was if lifting weights could cause displacement.  Unless you had an injury to the nose as a result of lifting, such as accidentally brushing your nose while raising the horizontal portion of a barbell, don’t worry, you should not have a problem. 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

+1

You should contact your Rhinoplasty surgeon and follow his/her specific recommendations and advice.  I tell all my Rhinoplasty patients to avoid any exercise for 1 month after their Rhinoplasty.

Exercise after surgery

+1

Two weeks after surgery, risk of injury with cardio type exercise is minimal. I tell my patient to ease back into full activity at two weeks.  You should avoid trauma to the nose (no contact sports) for a full 8 weeks as you will find trauma to that very painful and it could compromise your long term results.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon