Can I Re-Start Boxing 1 Month After Septorhinoplasty?

Hello, I recently had septorhinoplasty about a month ago and my nose feels strong. I did not have much swelling after the cast was removed. Can I re-start my amateur boxing career now?

Boxing after rhinoplasty

+2

THe amount of strengthening of a fracture is very little after the first 6-8 weeks under normal conditions and the fracture will never be as strong as the original native bone.  If you like your nose, boxing cannot be recommended.  If you are going to box anyway, giving your nose the 6-8 nweeks is all that you can do but dont be surprised when it breaks again!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Your nose will never be as strong as it was before your rhinoplasty

+1

Unfortunately your chosen profession and the long term results from your surgery probably do not mix. Your nose will never be as strong as it once was prior to your boxing career and your operation. Thus, you are going to have a greater tendency to continue to have cosmetic and functional problems with your nose if you sustain further injury. To guarantee an optimal amount of healing has occurred in your nasal bones and cartilages I would wait at least 6 months before fighting again. Good luck and keep your guard up!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Boxing Don't Mix

+1

Hello.

Nature typically takes six to eight weeks to heal a broken bone, anywhere in the body. If your rhinoplasty involved re-positioning the nasal bones, then, in reality, you had a fracture that will take the same time to heal.

" To heal" means that the bones are welded together and reasonably resistent to normal contact.

Boxing is not normal contact and thus you incur increased risk of another injury as long as you box. That is your call.

-Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Robert Kotler, MD

Hello, I recently had septorhinoplasty about a month ago and my nose feels strong. I did not have much swelling after the cast w

+1

You can but that degree of contact and activity could lead to increased swelling time for your Rhinoplasty to heal, IMHO.  Ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

Boxing after septorhinoplasty

+1

Probably not a good idea.  Usually patients wait until they have completed their boxing career before nasal surgery.  Donald R. Nunn MD   Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Why do a rhinoplasty in a boxer?

+1

Unless your airway was closed and the surgery was mainly for breathing I can't understand why you would have done this and still be boxing, only risking further nasal injury.  You can't just keep re-doing nose surgery and only get one shot at a great result. Must you continue boxing?

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+1

I traditionally tell patient's it would be very wise and appropriate to avoid contact sports for at least 2-3 months after surgery.  I would also suggest that you are putting yourself in a highly dangerous situation by boxing after a surgery of this type even 1 year out.  But if this is your chosen career then have at it.  But be aware that the likelihood of you needing more surgery at some point is quite high.  And after a second injury you will likely need to undergo cartilage reconstruction with either rib or ear which would keep you out of boxing for an even longer duration.  Bottom line:  If your boxing career is more of a hobby then stop now and pick a different activity.  If this is truly a goal you seek: just be as careful as possible but you may definitely want to wait a full 3 months before reengaging.  But we all know...with enough force...anyone's nose can be broken.  Take care!

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hmmm

+1

Only if you want your nose broken again! Seriously, I'm wondering why you even bothered getting it fixed if you were still boxing. Your nose will have about 60% of its strength after six weeks. It may never be quite as strong as it was. Maybe find a new sport that is gentler on your face?

J. Charles Finn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon