Excess Skin Following Massive Weight Loss & Choosing A Doctor

Hello, I have lost over a 150lbs and my stretched out skin of poor quality to begin with just hangs off me :( I live on a tiny island and the only plastic surgeons here, whom I've consulted all, never had to deal with a case like mine. I am very reluctand to let them "practice" on me... I am therefore considering travelling abroad to get all the procedures I need. I have only just begun researching but I wonder, since I'll only be able to travel once & stay for about a week, is it a good idea?

Surgery abroad after MWL? Take at least 3 weeks

+2

I don't know the facts of what you are actually pretending to do, but if you lost 150lbs, I guess you are at least getting a tummy tuck... Probably with liposuction... You could probably want to do some breast lift or work in your limbs... Your case have to be studied in detail.

While you find a board certified plastic surgeon that can do the surgery on you, I recommend that you plan on having at least 3 weeks to spare (preferably 4), in order to get a reasonable rehab period to go on with your day to day activities.

In my practice, I leave the abdominal drain in place at least 10 days... Even more if it keeps discharging a lot... Add to that the bruising and swelling you'll get from liposuction. So plan ahead, look for a qualified surgeon abroad; and be prepared to spend at least 3 weeks away from home.

Depending your case, you could need staged surgery too, as not everything could be done in just one procedure.

How to pick your surgeon for reconstructive surgery after major weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. It's great that you lost all that weight. I would suggest you do your research carefully. Reconstructive plastic surgery after massive weight loss can be very difficult for inexperienced plastic surgeons. You should look for a board certified plastic surgeon with a significant amount of experience with massive weight loss patients. Concerning your weight-loss, I anticipate you would need either an abdominoplasty or a 360 body lift.  Depending on what other areas bother you, this can sometimes be combined with a leg lift or a breast lift and augmentation. Without pictures, determining exactly what you need is somewhat difficult. I would plan to spend at least 3 to 4 weeks close to your plastic surgeons office while recovering from a 360 body lift with your either a thigh lift  or breast reconstruction. Good luck with your surgery. Congratulations on your massive weight loss. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

Web reference: http://timothykatzenmd.com/contact/