Can an Esthetician or an Lpn Inject Botox or Veins in New York State Under a Drs Supervision?

+2

Aestheticians have no medical training and would "never" under any circumstances be able to inject a patient with Botox or any filler.  LPN's are not licenced to inject patients.

I agree that it's now "buyer beware" for the public seeking these types of aesthetic procedures.  Just remember if it sounds too good to be true...there's a reason. 

Go to a plastic and cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist who is experienced so you actually do get what your paying for.

Non-Physician Injectors of Botox?

+2

Aestheticians definitely are not allowed to inject Botox in NYS, and while RN's (registered nurses) are able to, I'm not sure that LPN's are. Your best bet is to search for scope of practice for LPN's on the NY State Medical Board's website.

Injectors who are not Board Certified Plastic surgeons do not have the level of training and understanding of the facial anatomy that we do. So you truly have to be careful and be sure you go to someone who has not only done a lot of Botox procedures, but who also has the proper training.

David Cangello, MD

The law and what is right are two different things sometimes

+2

I am not aware of the exact law in NY state but someone below has answered that for you. Regardless of if it is allowed or not, I want to stress that this is your face you are dealing with and you have very important blood vessels, nerves and muscles that require an in-depth knowledge of the anatomy in order to provide the safest possible treatment. Dermatologists, plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons and oculoplastic surgeons all get formal training in this anatomy. Many people take weekend course or are trained for a few hours by the company that sells the product. Think about it for a minute and decide who would you want treating you? Saving a few bucks on an unskilled injector can have long-term disastrous  consequences. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Who can inject Botox

+1

Each state has different laws about who can inject what, but the most important question is, who would you trust with your health and beauty? Would you drive over a bridge that wasn't built by a licensed engineer? For optimal safety and results, go to a professional physician such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Non-physician injectors in NYS

+1
No, estheticians and LPNs cannot inject anything in New York. Technically, an RN can inject under a physician's direct supervision but I personally do not understand why anyone would seek out a nurse over board certified plastic surgeons or dermatologists who have had extensive training in the facial anatomy. Buyer beware. I would also be skeptical about internists, OBGYNS, pediatricians, etc. who are trying to branch out into cosmetic procedures after taking a one day course, as opposed to seven years of surgical residency.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Injections and regulations

+1

The best way to determine your specific laws surrounding these types of treatments is to visit your state's website and read the laws. Every state provides this information, and you can also discuss this with your provider for further detail.

Sam Naficy, MD

Who can inject Botox and veins in New York State

+1

I'm not a doctor in NY, but the best way to find out who is allowed to do what in any state is to contact your local state medical board. There will always be unscrupulous people who find ways to skirt the law, so contacting the board directly will give you the answers you need, and set the record straight. Below is a link to a site that has numbers for all state medical boards.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD