What Else Can Be Done for Upper Blepharplasty Scarring? (photo)

I am almost 8 wks. post op upper bleph & internal brow pexy. Bumpy raised scarring became noticeable shortly after the sutures were removed for the bleph. At 2 weeks my ocularplasty surgeon said to massage with hydrocortisone cream twice a day. Then at a few days prior to 6 weeks post-op a larger bump appeared on my left eye. Saw my surgeon & he states he's never had anyone else with this type of scarring. He injected Kenalog 2 wks ago & I don't see improvement. Anything else I can use on scar?

Upper eyelid scarring

+2

Typically, scars start to mature after about 8 weeks and it is not uncommon to have some elevation to the scars at this time period. It appears that your treatment is appropriate at this time. Other products like scar guard and mederma can be effective to help lessen the appearance. I would wait six months before I considered any other interventional therapy.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healing can vary

+2

I suggest a little more time and TLC. It is common for scars to still be raised at 6-8 weeks post procedure. Keep monitoring it with your surgeon and follow his directions. The healing process can vary from patient to patient.
Best of luck to you!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unfavorable scarring after upper eyelid surgery

+2

It is very unusual to have persistent unfavorable scarring after upper lid surgery - even in those predisposed to develop keloids.  As stated by others, it can take several months for scar maturation to occur.  Your post surgical treatment has been appropriate.  All you need now is a tincture of time.  Good luck.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Need to to allow the scar to heal on its own

+2

In my opinion you need to just slow it down.    You are only 8 weeks post op.   All scar go through 3 phases of healing.

1.  Inflammation   Day 0 - 4

2.  Proliferation  Day 4 to the end of the 6th week  (the incision is like a construction site and your body brings in three times what it needs to heal up the incision) 

3.  Maturation   6 weeks to up to 18 months - The scar remodels and reshapes.  

Yes your scars look a little raised and pink but I think it is a normal variation and just give it time.  Massage will definitely help.  The way each individual heals is unique.  Be careful with kenalog as it may thin your skin and leave you with small spider veins.    Once you get out to 4 -6 months then other options may be viable, such as a revision.   

Upper eyelid scars after surgery

+2

First off, what the heck happened with LSU last night?!!  Very upsetting.

Anyhow, I would say in your skin type this is a little unusual at 8 weeks.  However, I am confident this will settle down for your fairly quickly; maybe over the next 2 to 3 weeks.   I know that this is stressful but you will definitely improve.  If your surgeon wanted to mix the steroid injection with something called 5-FU, that may help move things along a bit faster.  It's tough but be patient.  Again, you appear Caucasian in your photos and this is a little unusual.  The lumpy appearance will go down first.  What you could linger a little longer is the redness of the area.  That also goes away with time.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper bleph. hypertrophic scarring

+2

Although very rare but hypertrophic or thickened  scars can occur after eyelid surgery particularly in patients who are predisposed to this. I have observed this in patients with autoimmune disease as well as diabetic patients. Kenalog injections usually works but takes several weeks.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumpy scarring after blepharoplasty

+2
The inflammatory phase of healing is at the 6-8 week point It is not unusual for patients to develop milia, "zits" or cysts in the scar line at your point in the healing process. Kenalog or incision and drainage if there is, in fact, a cyst, would be the appropriate treatment---as well as patience.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Bad blepharoplasty scars can be improved

+1

Scar revision on blepharoplasty scars is quite rare, in my experience.  I would begin aggressive pressure treatment and massage and wait until the scar resolves.  You may also need some IIT. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scarring post eyelids

+1

This is unusual but I think the most prudentt corse would be time and massage.This will go down in time and if not after 6 months or so maybe you can get a revision but this is unusual.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon