How Effective is Spectra Laser in Treating Melasma. How Many Treatments Are Required? Are There Better Alternatives for Asians

I am considering Spectra laser since it is suppose to be safer for Asian skin. I have been using hydroquinone 4% with some results. I tried retin A, hydroquinone 8%, hydrocortisone combination and my skin turns horribly red and pain results. Would Spectra laser be effective , would there be any improvement with one treatment or many are required? Are there better alternative laser that is safe for Asian skin? thank you,

I have the Spectra laser and it works!

+2

Dear Confused Asian female,

I have the Lutronic Spectra laser in my practice and lecture about melasma and laser treatment nationally at dermatology meetings.  Melasma is frustrating and I explain to patients that we can control but not cure melasma.  It requires maintenance treatment.

That being said, the Spectra does a superb job at improving melasma.  I use a series of 12 weekly treatments with this Nd:YAG laser.  The key to melasma is avoiding heat.  IPL, Fraxel, and other pigment lasers can introduce too much heat on darker skin types and worsen this condition.  I have several Asian, Hispanic, and darker skin types previously burned by IPL treatments that have had remarkable success in their melasma with the Spectra.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Melasma and lasers

+2

unfortunately, whether aggressive or mild laser treatment, melasma can worsen from the stimulation of the pigment cells during the healing process. Some excellent results have been obtained with the use of Fraxel laser, the Restore and Dual, but melasma can come back, rather readily, and all treatments have a risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, including the Portrait plasma resurfacing. Combined use of lightening creams and sunscreens are important, along with sun avoidance.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs

Ronald Shelton, MD

Spectra Laser for Melasma

+2

Hi Confused.  Hopefully we can provide some insight.  We do not use the Spectra q-switched laser, but we have the Medlite C6.  Both are q-switched Nd:Yg lasers.

We have performed trials using the Medlite to treat Melasma.  The problem we encountered is that the Melasma sometimes gets worse.  We think that epidermal Melasma (very superficial) responds well but that dermal Melasma, which is hard to reach because it is in the lower layer of skin, responds by getting darker after treatment. 

Because neither hydroquinone nor lasers are a cure for Melasma and because lasers can sometimes make the condition worse and are much more expensive, we have decided to use only hydroquinone based programs.  

The irritation you are experiencing with the hydroquinone product is because it has Retin A in it.  There are HQ products out there (ours is 8%) that do not have Retin A.  If your product does have Retin A and you are getting irritated, you need to give the body time to acclimate to it, which means using it every other day or every third day in the beginning.

The bottom line is that we are NOT advocates of using lasers for Melasma. It works poorly, is expensive and many times make the issue worse.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD