One of My Eyelids is Dropping, What are My Options? (photo)

I am 17 years old. Over the past few months in photos I have noticed my left eyelid drops considerable more than my right! Should I be concerned? what are my options? this has been going on since about August. Thats when I first noticed it and it wasn't that bad but I think its gotten worse. More and more people are noticing it now and I want to fix it. is it a health issue or just aging? I'm only 17 so if its aging how bad is it going to get?

Eyelid Asymmetry and treatment.

Your eyes are slightly asymmetric which is common. Leave them alone. No one notices this except you and you do Not need surgery! You can always find a surgeon ready to operate.

416 N Bedford Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Normal asymmetry

Your left upper eyelid is slightly ptotic (droopy). It is within the range of normal asymmetry. An operation to elevate the eyelid would probably cause it to be higher than your right eyelid. Botox injections could create other issues. The best advice anyone can give to you is to do nothing. 

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

450 Mamaroneck Ave
Harrison, NY 10528

Droopy lid

I agree with you that your left side appears to be slightly lower than your right.  This is definitely not associated with aging.  If there has been acute change, as you describe, I would consider reviewing old photos and bringing them with you to an eyelid or orbital specialist (oculoplastic surgeon). Most likely though, this is normal facial asymmetry and you can consider a cosmetic left sided eyelid or brow lift, it continues to bother you.

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

4316 James Casey Street
Austin, TX 78745

Aymmetric Eyelids

It appears that your right eyelid is actually too wide open and your left upper eyelid is perfectly normal. If there has been a significant change in your eyelid position I believe you might want to have your thyroid gland checked because you may be manifesting early Graves disease which causes eyelid retraction which is what I believe you demonstrate in your photograph.Graves disease is 4 to  5 times more common in women and patients commonly don't know that they have the problem.

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

1200 E. Ridgewood Ave.
Ridgewood, NJ 07450

Facial asymmetry

thank you for the photographs

one thing to feel great about is that you have beautiful features and an overall very attractive appearance. I agree with the other surgeons that it appears that you have some asymmetry of your facial bones and in particular the position of your left eye. That may be due to a difference in the size of the orbit or eye socket.

Get several consultations before proceeding with anything and I would consult with facial plastic surgeons and oculoplastic surgeons.

I've attached a little information not because I believe you have ptosis but because I think you may find it helpful to see the differences between these patients and yourself.

Incidentally, since I see you live in Illinois one of the very best oculoplastic surgeons in the country is Stewart Farris, MD in Springfield Illinois

Chase Lay, MD

double board certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

2550 Samaritan Dr Suite F
San Jose, CA 95124

Eyelid assymetry may represent the shape of the bones underneath

Dear dandc

Thak you for the pictures, a large proportion of people have assymetry of the face and you are now noticing it more than before.  Your left eye socket is likely lower than the right. 

• Because you say that it has been changing, I would recommend a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon or craniofacial surgeon .
  • Your forehead movement, eyelid movement and eye movement can be checked.  
  • 3D photographs or a 3D CT scan can be helpful to determine just where the assymmetry is most prominent.  Then, you can decide whether any surgery is worth it to you.   Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

2521 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95817

Facial/eyelid asymmetry

Although you may have very slight left upper eyelid ptosis, you have more prominent bony facial asymmetry with left side of face being smaller than the right, contributing to a lower brow position on the left side.  There are nonsurgical and surgical options to help the asymmetry.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

9735 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Drooping Eyelid at 17

Many people have some assymmetry in their faces and this stands out particularly in the eyes. The assymmetry you have is probably normal. I do not recommend surgery at this time. Continue to observe this over the next 3-6 months - photos are a great way to compare the changes. If you  see that this is really changing, then I'd suggest a visit to your ophthalmologist (eye doctor who in an MD - not an optometrist) or find a locay oculo-plastic surgeon. Chances are you will not see any progression. Also - a recent eye infection in the left eye or trauma to that side may account for the droop you are now seeing.

Andrea Nowonty Hass, MD
Palm Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

2401 PGA Blvd.
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410

Facial asymmetry is not a drooping lid

What your photo shows is natural facial asymmetry with one eye, usually the dominant eye, slightly larger than the other. The eyelid on both sides crosses just below the limbus and is quite normal. The more you point out the asymmetry to others, the more they will notice. Surgery in not your answer.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016