Drooping After Botox?

Yesterday I had 10 units of botox done on my forehead lines only, by an experienced dermatologist. This was my first time trying botox. Today I noticed that one of my eyebrows is slightly lower than the other. It's hardly noticeable but I'm worried that it's going to get worse over the next week. Is 10 units enough to cause droopiness? If I am noticing a slight droop today, does that mean it will only get worse over the next few days? When can I expect this to correct itself?

Can Botox Make One Eyebrow Higher or Lower?

+1

Hi Anon.  It's very possible that your asymmetry, if it has come on after treatment, will fix itself over the next week and if it does not, could probably be remedied fairly easily after another visit.

As Dr. Prendeville pointed out, we often have patients present this same issue at their 2 week follow up and when we look at the before pictures they realize that a small imperfection that they think is new was actually pre-existing.  In any event, make sure to get back to you injector to review the issue.  Good luck.

Early assymetry after Botox.

+1

It is not at all unusual to have early asymmetries after Botox the first few days. You should wait 10-14 days to see the final effect and then judge the result. I would advise you to have a two week follow up appointment with your injecting doctor to discuss your results.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Botox Dose and Brow Drop

+1

Ten units of Botox is a very small/conservative dose over the forehead. Two days after your treatment is very early and the full effect will take about 2 weeks to be realized. Wait until that time and make a follow up appointment.

Good Luck!

Dr. C

johnconnorsmd.com

John Philip Connors III, MD

Botox takes 2 weeks...

+1
Your botox hasn't reached it's maximum effect yet, that takes 2 weeks. At that point, if the problem persists, return to the same doctor who did the injections to see if you need a touch up.

Daniel J. Ladd Jr., DO
Austin Dermatologist

Droopy brow after Botox

+1

Give it a little more time before you make any final judgment. Even if there is any asymmetry, this can be easily corrected with a minor touch-up injection.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox - drooping

+1

10 units is very conservative in the forehead.  I would recommend waiting a few days for the Botox to take full effect.  If one eyebrow ends up higher or lower than the other, usually a touch up can fix the asymmetry.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Botox and Drooping

+1

Regarding the drooping there are several factors to consider: 1) many patients have pre-existing asymmetries in brow p[position. If this is present, I point it out ahead of time so that the patient knows what to expect, 2) at 10 days, Botox has not reached its peak effect. I would re-evaluate the result in another week or two, 3) Botox treatment sometimes requires a little bit of titration or tweaking.  If you aren't happy in another week, go back and see your Dermatologist.

10 units of Botox is a relatively low dose for treating forehead lines.  My typical dosing for patients is 15-20 units.

Good Luck!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can FOREHEAD Botox Cause Droopy Eyebrows? You Bet!

+1

First, you need to wait 10 days for the final results.  Second, the forehead muscles have a resting tone that is in balance with the eyelid muscles.  When the muscles have been weakened by botox. the balance will be altered, and the eyebrows can drop.  In patients with very pronounced forehead lines, their forehead muscles are working hard to keep the eyebrows 'out of the way'.  I call this 'compensated brow ptosis'.  (It is the reason why just doing the eyelids alone can be a bad idea surgically, because in these patients, both the eyebrow and the eyelids have to be done at the same time.)  Some patients will have more activity on one side (in fact asymmetry is the norm, not the exception).  

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD

It is a bit too early to judge your results from 10 units of Botox

+1

First, it is too early after the procedure to tell. You need to wait at least a week to see results. Further, 10 units is really a very, very small dose. I recommend a minimum of 30 units for the forehead, and 50 to get the best results. 

Peter Schmid, DO
Longmont Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drooping after Botox

+1

Botox reduces wrinkles by paralyzing the muscles that are contracting and causing the wrinkles. The Botox may have, for the short term, relaxed the muscles on one side more then the other. You need to wait at least 2 weeks to see how the Botox affects all your muscles, and then if there is any asymmetry between your brows, your surgeon can plan a course of action. This is not uncommon.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon