Is a Drain Necessary for Breast Reduction?

I am going to have a breast reduciton surgery next week, my size is 36D and would like to have 2 cup smaller. the doctor told me that I dont need drain for this surgery is that required? as another doctor told me he is going to put the drain for me for 3 days.

Drains not necessary

+1
A drain is not necessary for breast reduction. Using a drain depends on the surgeon and the surgical technique applied.

Drains and Breast Reduction?

+1

The use of drains  for breast reduction surgery is surgeon  dependent ( not “mandatory”).

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Drains are not necessary for breast reduction.

+1

A breast reduction procedure is commonly performed with the use a drain but it is not universally utilized. I tend to use these intermittently based on the sie and technique used. However, they are not absolutely necessary.

Drain for breast reduction

+1

Drains are not always necessary after a breast reduction.  In  most cases I will place them, but for some techniques it can be avoided.

Drains in Breast Reduction are Surgeon Preference

+1

Hi there-

Some surgeons will always use a drain, some do so on a case by case basis, and some never would...

The important thing is to find a surgeon with experience and skill- then trust them to do what they do best...

For some advice on how to find such a surgeon, please refer to this:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

To Drain or not to Drain

+1

Every plastic surgeon is different in the way they manage patients.  It is based on that surgeon's experience.  So drains are not mandatory in breast reductions.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

drain necessary for breast reduction

+1

This is a standard of care issue. If the majority of boarded PS's are using some form of a drainage system than it seems to be a good idea. I use them in 90% of my reductions, for 24 hours to days.

From MIAMI DR. B

Drains are NOT required in every Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

I have not used drains in breast reduction in years.

Drains are used to help remove any extra fluid that accumulates in the surgical area. Some procedure are more likely than others to be associated with fluid collections and as such those patients would benefit from drains. Ultimately, the use of drains in a case come to represent each surgeon's security blanket / comfort zone and belief systems all wrapped together. The dogmatic hard core surgeons (seen more in Orthopedic and general surgery) "always" use drains. There are others who "never" use them claiming they are never needed. Finally, you have a large group in between who may use them occasionally if they are worried of fluid formation in THAT patient. There is inherently nothing wrong with their use as long as they are not kept in too long.

Drains safer after breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

Ther is really no downside to drains, and they can prevent fluid collection.  Just a little uncomfortable.  For breast reduction in Manhattan, we usually use drains.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Reduction technique

+1

Drains are used to remove blood or fluid from a surgical site. They are usually not necessary in Breast Reduction. However, occasionally, a particular patient will have more oozing or fluid accumulation at the time of surgery than usual. In these cases I don’t hesitate to use a drain. As the old adage says, “It’s better to be safe than sorry.” Using a drain when it is not needed is much simpler than not doing so when it is needed.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon