Can I Donate Blood After Gatric Bypass Surgery?

Initially I was told I would never be able to donate blood if I chose gastric bypass surgery. When I had my revision of the previous surgery I asked my surgeon and he did not see why I would not be able to. It took me almost 50 years to actually start donating blood and I did it quite regularly. What are your thoughts?

Donating Blood after Gastric Bypass

+2

Some patients after gastric bypass will suffer from iron deficiency anemia and may require iron supplementation. If you suffer from this, it would not be a good idea to donate blood.  If your blood levels are normal it is not a problem to donate.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Donating blood after gastric bypass

+1

If your blood count is normal and your iron levels are ok then I dont see a contra-indication to donating blood

I think the concern is that patients after GB may be anemic due to low B12 and iron levels which is why it is important to regularly take your vitamins to maintain healthy production of red blood cells. Check with your bariatric surgeon as well.

Houston Bariatric Surgeon