Will Doctors Perform a Breast Lift on a 17 Year Old?

After developing very large breasts at a young age and being very involved in sports (and not wearing any supportive bras), my breast have sagged tremendously. I can hide my whole hand underneath them and my nipples point to the floor... they look like the breasts of a women 4x my age! It makes me incredibly self-conscious and I constantly have to modify what I wear to ensure that they look 'normal'. Please help, I would like to know if doctor would still perform on me, despite me being 17.

Breast lift in young patients or teenagers

+2

Patients who are 17 years old may absolutely be a candidate for a breast lift.

Especially patients with "snoopy breasts" or constricted lower pole, or Poland's Syndrome, surgery may give life altering confidence to young ladies with such a focal breast deformity.

Your plastic surgeon can determine if your breasts have developed fully, and what the pros and cons of such a surgery are. 

Breast Lifting for 17 Year Old?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is very likely,  given your history and considering your concerns,  that you will benefit from breast lifting surgery. One of the major  and considerations is timing of the surgery  in relation to your life circumstances. Some patients prefer to wait until they have completed pregnancies and/or are in stable long-term relationships.

Most patients undergoing this procedure will accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met.   

When the time is right, consider consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast lift

+1

By your description it sounds like you absolutely would be a candidate for a breast lift.  You would need parental consent  until age 18 and you should know that you may not be able to breast feed after having this procedure.  That being said, it could do wonders for your self confidence in that it would correct asymmetry and get your nipples pointing in the right direction. 

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift in a 17 year old

+1

From the the described appearance of the breasts, it is my impression that you will beneift from a breast lift (probably without implants). However, at 17 you will need a responsible adult's consent and must be willing to accept the scars as well as the likelihood this may need to be repeated following childbirth. It may be best to defer this until that time.

Breast lifts at age 17

+1

First, in my opinion, your breasts didn't sag because you engaged in sports or didn't wear a bra. You had no control over this and although unusual without pregnancy, aging, or excessive size, it does happen. 

It is certainly feasible and reasonable to consider a lift or a lift with a reduction at age 17. Here are the potential issues for you and the plastic surgeon to consider:

Breast growth may not be complete. Usually age 18 is considered to be sure although it may be complete now and there are conditions where breasts appear to grow later on. 

You cannot sign your own consent for the operation until you are 18. A breast lift is considered a cosmetic procedure and should be your choice and signature ideally. 

Although the risk is low, breast lifts and reductions (which include a lift) have some risk of affecting sensation or breast function which may be an issue later on when considering pregnancy.

Ultimately you and the plastic surgeon have to feel comfortable that you are doing the right thing at the right time and you are well informed and consenting. Not all plastic surgeons (or patients for that matter) will feel the same way about this. 

Reshaping the breasts when done early before various changes of life is unlikely to hold up over the years and further surgery later on is likely. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and implants

+1

It is unusual to perform a breast lift on a 17 year old woman but can be possible if they are truly pointing to the ground.  If they are quite large, a reduction would lift them as well.

Breast lift at age 17

+1

Although it is unusual to have sagging breasts that you described at you age, you are not the only one with this problem. I've done short scar breast lifts in teenagers with excellent results. Now, there is the possibility that you might not be able to breast feed when you will have a child. This could be a major concern for some women. A breast lift for you would give you more self confidence not only in the freedom of choosing clothes, but also in dating and the way you feel about yourself as a young woman. I would seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for an indepth consultation. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon