What Does a Doctor Have to Do to Become Board Certified?

Residency, Exams

+2

Each specialty will have its own criteria for board certification. However, all boards require the completion of a residency in that specialty, followed by the passing of some type of examination.

To be certified by the American Board of Dermatology one must finish a year residency, usually in internal medicine, followed by three years of dermatology in a board certified program. Then the prospective dermatologist must sit for his/her boards. This may have changed, but when I sat for my boards, there were two full days of examination. One must pass each part, otherwise the applicant is required to take the failed part again.

There are some, what I would call pseudo-boards, which are not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. (The ABMS oversees the 24 boards of the American specialties.) I can not tell you the criteria for admission to these boards. 

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Boar certification

+1

Board certification is specific for each specialty. Plastic surgery has one of the most vigorous processes. When I trained it required at least 3-5 years of general surgery and 2 years of plastic surgery training along with a written exam and an oral exam based upon cases that I performed over a select period of time. Other specialities differ.