Does the Patient Have to Pay for Tummy Tuck Revision Cost?

When a plastic surgery (abdominoplasty) revision is necessary, does the patient have to pay?

I paid for a full Tummy Tuck, but the result I have been left with is pretty hideous by anyone's standards. My plastic surgeon attempted to right his wrong by performing laser skin tightening on my upper abdominal area, which did absolutely nothing. After finally expressing my unhappiness to my PS, when I realized that my end result was what you see here, it was decided that I needed a revision. Is it fair that I'm being forced to pay the hospital and anesthesiology fees for my revision surgery, now scheduled for March 31st?

I compensated this surgeon very well at the time of the original surgery, and I am now the one who must undergo a SECOND surgery, with all of the risks, downtime, and discomfort associated with that. I realize that if I were asking the surgeon to 'tweak' something, my payment of these fees would be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, this is hardly just a tweaking; my results were unsightly and unacceptable, and I didn't receive what I paid for - a FULL TT. What are your thoughts on this? Additionally, am I an idiot for letting this surgeon have a second shot at me? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Revisions after tummy tucks should be rare. ...

+5

Revisions after tummy tucks should be rare. Occasionally a tiny dog ear at the corner of the incision needs to be repaired and this is usually at no charge. Charges, however, are at the discretion of your surgeon.

In general, if the result is something that falls short of what your surgeon anticipated and you followed all appropriate post-op instructions, a revision will usually be done at no charge. If the result is somewhat less than hoped for but it is because of the patient's body, revisions might be offerred at cost. If the patient wants more than that, but the surgeon feels that result is otherwise good, there may be more charges involved.

Again, revisions are rare and charges are up to the doctor.

Charges for Revision Surgery

+2

Every surgeon's office differs with how they deal with revisionary surgery and the charges involved.  It is standard that if the surgeon waives his/her surgeons fee, that the patient pay the fees associated with returning to the operating room (OR fees, anesthesia, supplies, etc).  

Best Wishes!

Tummy tuck revision

+2

I can appreciate your disappointment from this picture. Most plastic surgeons communicate what can be expected from a given surgery and will discuss your personal expectation. Form this photo, it appears that you had a mini-tummy tuck. However, you may have been a more appropriate candidate for a full tummy tuck. All of these should have been discussed with you before the first surgery.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Are you sure you had a full tummy tuck?

+2

I can understand your disappointment. Plastic surgeons generally strive to communicate realistic outcomes and deliver satisfactory results.

It is hard to tell from this picture but it is my impression that you underwent a mini tummy tuck and not a full judging from your picture. In a full tummy tuck the umbilicus is completely inset all the way around. There does not appear to be a scar around the umbilicus but it is difficult to tell. Did you have stitches around your belly button? If you did have stitches, you healed excellently. Your lower belly demonstrates excelllent overall appearance. However, the upper abdominal skin seem disproportionately loose. It does appear to have sun damage and poor elasticity which may have contributed to the laxity seen in this picture. Did you suffer a hematoma? The problem is your upper abdominal skin which may require a reverse abdominoplasty.

If not, then you may have undergone a mini or a hybrid/marriage abdominoplasty. In either of these procedures the skin of the upper abdomen remains untreated which appears to be the case.

In regards to fees, this is a difficult question. I don't think that you are going to improve the appearance without additional surgery. In this event, there are different fees that will be incurred: the surgeon's fee, the operating room, and the anesthesiologist. As plastic surgeons, we always seek to meet or exceed our patient's expectations. Many surgeon's waive the surgeon's fee but have the patient pay for the operating room and anesthesia as needed. Clearly, you will need to set forth the terms of any additional procedures after that. If you search for another surgeon, you will likely have to pay for all the fees.

I urge you to continue discussions with your plastic surgeon and if you are not satisfied with their explanation, seek second opinions and proceed only if someone can assure you of a reasonable outcome.

This is dependent upon the surgeon. Common practice is...

+2

This is dependent upon the surgeon.

Common practice is that if a revision is performed within 1 yr of surgery, many physicians will waive their surgical fee and only charge for the facility: to pay the anesthesiologist, nursing staff, and for supplies.

Revision costs should be spelled out in your original quote if it is patient responsibility or surgeon.

+1
Thank you for your post.
Revision costs should be spelled out in your original quote if it is patient responsibility or surgeon.  Normally there is a cost, including facility fee and anesthesia at a minimum for revisions. In considering the cost of a Tummy Tuck, you should look at the components of the cost:
1. Surgeons Fee. This is usually the greatest part of the overall cost and can vary immensly from location to location (just like the cost of living varies in each location) as well as in the same location, it can vary from surgeon to surgeon. Usually, a surgeon commanding a higher price is very experienced and has very good results reliably, and is very busy due to the above.
2. Anesthesia Fee. This can vary depending on if a board certified MD anesthesiologist is used, vs. a nurse anesthetist, vs. a non-certified nurse, vs. only local anesthesia (an awake procedure). Obviously, the further you go down the line, the cheaper the price. You do get what you pay for.
3. Facility Fee. This can vary if it is a a state/medicare certified facility, vs. the back of a doc's office.
4. Accessories. This includes things like a pain pump, Exparol injections (72 hour long lasting numbing), garments, tissue glues, etc. These are not necessary for a great result, just add to the comfort of a result.
5. Revision. Usually a revision such as dog ears or lowering the scar, or a seroma, is much less that the original surgery, but this depends entirely on what exactly is being done.
As with anything in life, buyer beware of risks of cutting corners in surgery.
Real Self has average costs of every operations in your location that you can peruse before seeing a surgeon, but keep in mind that the above quality can change from office to office. Choose a surgeon that you are very comfortable with and is board certified.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Charges for revision surgery

+1
Revisions for tummy tucks are uncommon and can vary tremendously depending on what needs to be done.  Small dog ears and scar revisions or scar lasers can usually be done in the office and are often considered part of the original surgery.

Major revisions that require anesthesia and an outpatient facility can have fees associated with them.  Ordinarily the surgeon with waive his or her fee. 

Michelle J. Place, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Typically patients do not pay revision costs.

+1
Although it depends on the specifics, based on the details you’ve listed above (and your photos), the surgeon is not likely to charge a fee for the tummy tuck revision. However, the surgeon’s fee is not the only cost associated with surgery. There’s also the fee for the anesthesiologist and the facility to consider, which may or may not be covered by your surgeon. Since you have loose skin through the upper abdomen, a full tummy tuck is likely required for smoother contours overall. If you don’t trust the previous surgeon to perform the second surgery correctly, definitely consider getting a second opinion. Tummy tuck revision can be a challenging procedure, so it may be worth finding a specialist.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Waiving Fees for Revisional Surgery-Each Situation is Different

+1

The cost of revisional surgery varies from practice to practice and is dependent upon a multitude of variables.  Each situations is unique and for this reason it’s difficult to have precise rules.

In most cases surgeons try to be reasonable and help patients whenever possible.  It’s not unusual for surgeons to waive their surgeon’s fee and charge only for the facility and anesthesia.  It’s important to discuss these issues pre-operatively to minimize confusion in the post-operative period.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Dra gladys polanco

+1
when a revision months before the first going to depend on your dr consideration, most times you only pay the cost of the clinic ...

Gladys Polanco Estévez, MD