Dissolvable sutures with synmastia repair?

I had my second synmastia repair with downsize (450 HP to 325 HP) this past Thursday and my surgeon uses the internal sutures that dissolve in 6 months and says the scar tissue acts as a glue to hold the repair permanently after they've dissolved. Is it true that scar tissue can act like a glue to hold the repair together? I did not have any Strattice or any other kind of matrix added to the repair. Am I right to have concerns about the use of temporary sutures for such a complicated repair?

Symmastia Repair

+2
Personally I prefer permanent sutures, but many surgeons use dissolvable sutures (there may be less chance of infection).  There are many plastic surgical procedures that depend on scar tissue to "hold" after the sutures dissolve (face lifts, tummy tucks, breast lifts) and there is no evidence that permanent sutures are any better than dissolvable sutures in these settings.  So I think you can have confidence in your surgeon's choices.

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue or capsule formation helps

+1
The scar or new capsule formation is the issue in this technique.  bE patient and follow your post op instructions!

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Dissovable sutures

+1
Synmastia does have a tendency to recur.  Hopefully you will not have that problem if the scar tissue does its thing.  If it does not I would consider the strattice with the next surgery and a neopectoral pocket.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Internal stitches

+1
dearestqwerty
I agree with your Plastic Surgeons belief that over time the scar tissue that is laid down around dissolving stitches is strong enough to resist day to day deforming forces.
Whether the forces imposed by your breast implants will be resisted by this scar tissue is a call only your PS can make.
hope this helps
warm regards
prashant

Prashant Murugkar, MD
India Plastic Surgeon