Discharge After Breast Lift?

I'm four weeks post-op. My breast has been leaking moderately for appprox 3 weeks. Am I lactating, or is this post-op discharge? Should I be worried?

Discharge or Leaking Requires Evaluation

+2

Nipple discharge after breast surgery is not unusual.

Breast surgery can temporarily stimulate lactation and is benign.

To be certain that the drainage is innocent and does not require treatment, see your surgeon for an evaluation, as soon as possible.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Go back to your treating surgeon for a thorough evaluation and work-up!

+2

At four weeks following a breast lift procedure it is abnormal to be leaking any fluid whatsoever! The potential problems can range from very simple to complex. Do not risk it. I would strongly recommend that you go back to your treating surgeon for a thorough evaluation and work-up.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Discharge

+2

There are several questions that will help clarify this matter.

Is the discharge from the nipple or from the incisions?
Is there redness?
What does the discharge look like?
Are you having fevers or chills?

There are many possibilities.

The discharge could be a draining liquifying hematoma or serous collection. This may or may not require treatment (drainage typically).

The discharge could represent an infection - however it would be atypical for an infection to be brewing for three weeks without larger systemic issues.

The discharge could also represent liquefying fat.

As always, these concerns should be addressed with your treating physician. I hope this helps.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

Discharge after Breast Surgery

+1

It is difficult to know if you are having "leaking" from the nipple/areola or the incision.  Discharge from the nipple/areola after breast surgery because the milk ducts have been manipulated.  This discharge should stop spontaneously.  If the "leaking" is from the incision lines, you should make sure your plastic surgeon sees you and  examines you to make sure that all is fine.

Best Wishes.

Leaking after Breast Lift needs to be Evaluated by your Surgeon

+1

Anytime that you have leaking from your incision, especially for an extended period of time, then you need to be evaluated by your surgeon.  You need to go soon rather than later if you have any pus or fever or chills.  

David Shafer, MD

Discharge following breast lift

+1

Nipple discharge following breast lift surgery may occur and usually resolves spontaneously. Any discharge from the incision(s) needs to be evaluated immediately for possible infection, wound healing problems, or underlying fluid collection.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Discharge After Breast Lift

+1

Milk discharge can occur after breast surgery, because the breast ducts, which carry the milk from the glandular tissue to the nipple, are cut and manipulated. This discharge is milky white and has no odor. It comes from the nipple or areola. This drainage will stop on its own.

Other types of discharge may come from incision lines or drain sites. They may be wound fluid, tumescent solution, liquefied fat, old blood, or pus.

Signs of infection include redness, pain, odor, green or yellow color, increasing tenderness, warmth, or fever. If you have any of these symptoms, you should notify your surgeon immediately.

Karen Vaniver, MD

Call your plastic surgeon for a follow-up.

+1

It is possible to have a small amount of drainage after a breast reduction. The most important factors are where the drainage is coming from and the quality of the drainage. Sometimes patients have a minimal amount of clear or yellowish drainage from a certain point along the incision line. This may be due to the liquefaction of fat underneath the skin. If the drainage proceeds for a long time it may be a symptom of a deeper collection or a deeper problem that your plastic surgeon will definitely want to know about. If the drainage is of a dark or greenish color and if it has a foul odor, this may indicate a deep infection in which your plastic surgeon will want to know about this immediately. The best thing to do is to take care of yourself and see your plastic surgeon as soon as possible and discuss your concerns.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Depends on the type and location of the discharge after Breast Lift

+1

I'm assuming you mean nipple discharge. I have seen patients having milk discharge in the peri-operative time. I would alert your plastic surgeon to it. He will follow it for some time and if needed additional tests might be ordered. If the discharge is from your incisions, you need to show it to your doctor ASAP. Best of luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Several underlying factors causing discharge after breast lift

+1

Did you have implants as well?

Is this discharge from the nipple or incision?

Does it a have an odor?

Is it white (pus-like), bloody, clear, or oily?

Is the skin black?

Do you have a fever or are the wound edges red?

All of these may be indicative of the underlying problem and may represent different causes.

Generally lactation occurs from the nipple with a clearing whitish drainage with minimal odor and frequently ocurs with placement of implants.

Please consult with your physician to evaluate other possible causes.