Power Assisted Lipo Vs Ultrasound Assisted Lipo- What's the Difference?

Can these really help tighten and leave wanting results for the abdomen?

Liposuction using Power assisted or Ultrasonic method

+3

Power assisted Liposuction uses a probe that vibrates back and forth and partially dissolves the fat before removing it.

Ultrasonic Liposuction acutally sends sound waves and makes the fat liquid. This allows for more efficient removal of the fat.

It also allows the dermis to contract and gives best results for liposuction of the back or male breast reduction.

Hope this was helpful.

ultrasound or power-assisted liposuction

+2

ultrasonic liposuction involves the delivery of ultrasonic energy to soften and even liquify the fat prior to liposuction. Power-assisted liposuction uses a device that moves a very small distance back and forth as the cannula moves through the tissue. No supplemental heating energy is delivered with power-assisted liposuction. These devices make it somewhat more easy for the surgeon in cases of more fibrotic tissue, or collagen build-up, but has never conclusively shown that it makes the result better than conventional tumescent liposuction with small cannula.

It's not the tool, it's the surgeon wielding it.....

+2

liposucton contours...in general it does not tighten! good results occur when good surgeons use whatever tools they prefer  to  remedy  a particular problem. you can get good results with pal, ual, and straight suction lipectomy. pick your plastic surgeon carefully...that is the most important ingredient for getting a good outcome...which method he/she prefers is much less important. watch out for all the gimmickery and marketing hype out there for certain devices , many of which are being used by practitioners with very little surgical training.

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

PAL vs. UAL

+1

Power assisted liposuction (PAL) consists of using a liposuction cannula that oscillates or vibrates to help break up fatty tissue as it is being removed from the body. It allows for a slightly more gentle technique than traditional liposuction to be used and is especially helpful in areas of dense adipose tissue. I have used the PAL for about a year now and have been very happy with the results. Ultrasound assisted liposuction (UAL) also uses vibrating technology, but the vibrations are fast enough to create ultrasound energy that emulsifies fat. The fat is broken up with a separate wand as the first part of the procedure and then traditional liposuction is then completed with cannulas to remove the liquified fat. There is some evidence that when used properly, the energy can induce some additional skin tightening. There is also evidence that when used poorly, that thermal burn injuries can be produced.

In the end, it really does not matter what technology is being used nearly as much as the expertise of the plastic surgeon that is performing the procedure.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Power assisted versus ultrasonic liposuction

+1

The most frequently performed methods of liposuction are standard liposuction and ultrasonic liposuction.  Power-assisted liposuction is the same as standard liposuction, except that the tip of the instrument used to remove the fat is actually motorized to aid in removing the fat.  Many other "forms" of liposuction can be found on the internet, but make sure you do your research into what is really happening if you decide to go with a form of liposuction that isn't standard or ultrasonic liposuction.  Standard liposuction involves the instillation of a numbing fluid underneath the skin into the area of fat to be removed.  This can be done under general, sedation, or even local anesthesia (for smaller areas.) Then, the standard liposuction cannulas (instruments) are used to remove the fat.  Ultrasonic liposuction is basically done the same why, except the tip of the liposuction cannula emits ultrasonic waves.  This emulsifies the fat and allows easier removal of the fat.  Recovery varies depending upon how much fat is removed, but is generally around 1 week.  Compression garments are used to mold the treated areas and to prevent any seromas (fluid collections) from forming.  Exercise can usually be resumed in a week as well.  Results can be seen in about 3-4 weeks after the swelling resolves.  Tightening of the areas treated is actually performed, but a "tighter" look may appear after the fat is removed and the swelling is gone.

Web reference: http://www.BaltimorePlasticSurgery.com

Modalities of liposuction

+1

I agree with Dr. Coleman's answer. The take-home point is that neither power assisted or ultrasonic (or laser) liposuction are going to give you a better result than properly performed traditional liposuction. They will be more expensive and have more risks and may make it easier for the surgeon but they won't give better results. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Both power assisted and ultrasonic liposuction are designed to make the work of the surgeon easier.

+1

Both power assisted and ultrasonic liposuction are designed to make the work of the surgeon easier. Although I helped to develop the most popular powered liposuction instrument, I no longer use this technique. I also abandoned ultrasonic liposuction a long time ago. After 27 years of performing liposuction, I feel I am getting the best results ever using manual liposuction. Using very small instruments, I can definitely sculpt more precisely. And if I have to work harder, it is worth it to give my patients better results.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Power and Ultrasound Liposuction

+1

Liposuction involves the use of suction to remove fat, and both power assisted (PAL) and ultrasound assisted (UAL) liposuction were designed to facilitate fat removal. The techniques are different in that PAL uses a rapidly vibrating cannula to increase the speed of aspiration, whereas UAL relies on ultrasound energy delivered to the fat to emulsify it for easier removal. There are different indications and complications with each, and you should discuss both procedures with your plastic surgeon.

Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction Works Well For the Abdomen

+1

We like the Vaser Liposuction system for the abdomen as it emulsifies the fat and heats the tissues.  We have found a decreased bruising and swelling as well as pain following body contouring with the Vaser.  However your physician may feel differently and I would go with whatever your physician recommends following a consultation.  In general we see a lot of women whom would be happier in the long run with a mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck in situations when the skin is super loose.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Power vs. Vaser vs Laser lipo - none is a substitue for a tummy tuck

+1

Liposuction removes fat, and anytime this is done the skin overlying that area shrinks to some degree. The question is whether any special technique increases the tightening of the skin more than would happen without it. Power-assisted lipo (PAL) uses a vibrating cannula - the instrument inserted into the fat to suction it out - in order to shake loose the fat cells more effectively. I have seen no data indicating that it causes more skin tightening. VASER is ultrasound, which uses high frequency sound waves to also help with more efficient fat removal. There is some vidence that it might stimulate greater skin tightening through heat, but the more that is applied close to the skin the greater the risk of burns and scarring. The same applies for laser lipo. If there is enough skin laxity to consider a tummy tuck, none of these other technologies will come even close to a comparable result.