Diastasis Recti Repair in an Adult Male

I am a 36, male and I have had diastatis recti since 2007. It is the result of having a ventral hernia repair and consequently getting an infection. They left me open to drain and my muscles never lined up again. My muscles seperate about 2.5 finger wide and 3 inches top to bottom. Because I am thin, I feel my stomach always looks like it's protruding. It is taking quite a toll psychologically in terms of body image etc... I am wondering if I am stuck with this or if there is help out there. Please let me know!

Tummy tuck after ventral hernia

+2

Indeed tummy tuck may be able to help you. You have significant abdominal wall laxity both from the ventral hernia as well as the infection. I suggest you find a board-certified plastic surgeon and go in for a consultation. You absolutely need a physical exam before anyone can give you a definitive answer as to whether or not you're a surgical candidate--I believe there is hope, however!

Diastasis repair in men

+2

Yes, there is a diastasis repair that can be performed in men. Like Dr. Aldea has stated, you will need your old records for the doctor to evaluate. You should be seen by someone with experience in abdominal wall reconstruction, as it may require some additional procedures or techniques such as mesh, or alloderm type products to secure the closure. Sometimes going to a major teaching center would be a good option. Good luck with your search.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Repair of rectus diastasis in men - Los Angeles

+1

Repair of the abdominal muscles may be indicated if the muscles are loose. This is performed in men who have loose muscles. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Potentially a Tummy Tuck but first a Physical Exam to be Sure.

+1

Of course a physical exam would be needed to say for sure, but from your description of the muscle separation, I think a tummy tuck would help. During surgery, the muscles can be joined back together and sutured to repair the separation. This provides a firmer framework for the skin and overlying tissue. If there’s any excess, it can be removed so your belly is firm and flat again. You’ll want to be sure to work with a board certified plastic surgeon who’s very well-versed in abdominoplasty. Since you had a previous surgery, be sure you have complete medical records on hand for reference if needed.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis, hernia and TT?

+1

Consider removal of skin to tighten area. If you have  looseness or diastasis then you could get a tummy tuck where the fascia is tightened. If fascia is not loose then lipo. In your situation a tummy tuck will help significantly.good luck!

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think it would be in your best interest to be seen by a well experienced  board certified plastic surgeon. Simple physical examination will be enough to determine if you are a good candidate for any type of surgery. For example, if the “pinch test” demonstrates significant subcutaneous adipose tissue, you may be a good candidate for liposuction surgery. If, on the other hand, you have significant abdominal wall laxity (muscle laxity) you may benefit from tummy tuck surgery. Sometimes, especially with men, the adipose tissue may be intra-abdominal and you would most benefit from diet and exercise.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Rectus Diastasis in male patient

+1

Hi there-

Provided that a careful examination showed a diastasis, and not a recurrent hernia, I do think that an abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck technique would help you achieve the look you want.

Find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery you like and can trust and visit for a consultation.

Here's a bit of advice on how to find one:

Web reference: http://orlandoplasticsurgery.blogspot.com/2009/11/choosing-plastic-surgeon-part-2.html#699

Diastastis recti can occur in males as well as women

+1

Hello - It appears as though you may need tightening of your rectus muscles. This can be done right through your existing scars, and the recovery is about 1-2 weeks off of work and 6 weeks from working out. It's hard to give you an exact answer without actually seeing you, but things do look promising from your photo.

Web reference: http://www.DrSchreiberPlasticSurgery.com

Diastasis repair in a man

+1

It is possible that you have a diastasis but it is also possibly a recurrent ventral hernia. I would suggest you go to a plastic surgeon who is Board Certified in BOTH plastic surgery and in surgery so you have the best chance of getting this fixed.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsugery.com

Repair of Diastasis after Ventral Hernia Repair

+1

Based on your description it is possible that you would benefit from surgery.  If you had a forward facing photo it may help us give you more specific advice.  Additionally, no determination can be made without examining you in person to determine the extent of surgery necessary.  Good luck. 

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com