Diastasis Recti Repair in an Adult Male

I am a 36, male and I have had diastatis recti since 2007. It is the result of having a ventral hernia repair and consequently getting an infection. They left me open to drain and my muscles never lined up again. My muscles seperate about 2.5 finger wide and 3 inches top to bottom. Because I am thin, I feel my stomach always looks like it's protruding. It is taking quite a toll psychologically in terms of body image etc... I am wondering if I am stuck with this or if there is help out there. Please let me know!

Tummy tuck after ventral hernia

Indeed tummy tuck may be able to help you. You have significant abdominal wall laxity both from the ventral hernia as well as the infection. I suggest you find a board-certified plastic surgeon and go in for a consultation. You absolutely need a physical exam before anyone can give you a definitive answer as to whether or not you're a surgical candidate--I believe there is hope, however!

Diastasis repair in men

Yes, there is a diastasis repair that can be performed in men. Like Dr. Aldea has stated, you will need your old records for the doctor to evaluate. You should be seen by someone with experience in abdominal wall reconstruction, as it may require some additional procedures or techniques such as mesh, or alloderm type products to secure the closure. Sometimes going to a major teaching center would be a good option. Good luck with your search.

Diastasis Recti Repair in an Adult Male

Thank you for your question and photographs, and I am sorry to hear about the psychological toll that your diastasis has caused you.  Based on a physical exam, I think you are an excellent candidate for a muscle repair.  The first step is diagnosis, to ensure that your muscle separation is a diastasis and not a hernia.  Once determined, the decision as to the best approach needs to be done.  If you have vertical skin laxity, using a lower tummy tuck incision will allow for repair of your diastasis while removing any excess skin to help with your abdominal contour.  If you have skin excess in both a vertical and horizontal excess, use of your vertical scar may permit a more powerful removal of skin that can transform your stomach.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can walk you through the important steps of the various tummy tuck procedures. 

Diastasis repair in men?

You may be a candidate for a tummy tuck and diastasis repair.  Definitely consult with an expert plastic surgeon to understand your best options.  Your case is unusual because it is a complication from a hernia repair.
Also, make sure you are at your ideal weight for best results.

David Stoker, MD

Repair of rectus diastasis in men - Los Angeles

Repair of the abdominal muscles may be indicated if the muscles are loose. This is performed in men who have loose muscles. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Diastasis recti repair with or without a skin tuck

Yes, men can have a diastasis repair.  With your history, it would be best to find out if anything on the inside is adherent to the inside of the area of diastasis.  If this is cleared and you do not have loose skin and fat or a recurrent hernia, there are variations on tummy tucks that include muscle repair with a very limited skin incision and no excision.  I hope you found someone that is experienced with these variations.

Myles Goldflies, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Potentially a Tummy Tuck but first a Physical Exam to be Sure.

Of course a physical exam would be needed to say for sure, but from your description of the muscle separation, I think a tummy tuck would help. During surgery, the muscles can be joined back together and sutured to repair the separation. This provides a firmer framework for the skin and overlying tissue. If there’s any excess, it can be removed so your belly is firm and flat again. You’ll want to be sure to work with a board certified plastic surgeon who’s very well-versed in abdominoplasty. Since you had a previous surgery, be sure you have complete medical records on hand for reference if needed.

Diastasis, hernia and TT?

Consider removal of skin to tighten area. If you have  looseness or diastasis then you could get a tummy tuck where the fascia is tightened. If fascia is not loose then lipo. In your situation a tummy tuck will help significantly.good luck!

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think it would be in your best interest to be seen by a well experienced  board certified plastic surgeon. Simple physical examination will be enough to determine if you are a good candidate for any type of surgery. For example, if the “pinch test” demonstrates significant subcutaneous adipose tissue, you may be a good candidate for liposuction surgery. If, on the other hand, you have significant abdominal wall laxity (muscle laxity) you may benefit from tummy tuck surgery. Sometimes, especially with men, the adipose tissue may be intra-abdominal and you would most benefit from diet and exercise.

Rectus Diastasis in male patient

Hi there-

Provided that a careful examination showed a diastasis, and not a recurrent hernia, I do think that an abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck technique would help you achieve the look you want.

Find a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery you like and can trust and visit for a consultation.

Here's a bit of advice on how to find one: