Is This Dangerous to Have Such a Large Painful Hematoma After Mini Tummy Tuck and Lipo? (photo)

12 days post op and I developed a hematoma within minutes of waking from surgery. My drain put 500 cc's 1st day. Then removed last Monday draining 15 CCs. The bruised area you see is hard as a rock and PS said it is hematoma and to let my body reabsorb. But it is large, pushing on nerves and painful. It was liquid, but it is very hard now. Should I seek a second opinion? Is this dangerous? How long will it take for my body to absorb a 6 x 8 inch hematoma?

Painful Hematoma after Mini-tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question about a hematoma after a mini-tummy tuck.

• the hardness is from internal scar formation around the hematoma,
  • hematomas can often be drained with a needle in the office,
  • this may need to be done several times, 
  • If not, your mini-tummy tuck result is likely to be disappointing, 
  • the pain suggests a possible infection; hematoma fluid should be cultured,
  • If your surgeon isn't concerned, yes, consider a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Is This Dangerous to Have Such a Large Painful Hematoma

+1

As a general rule, a hematoma this large should be evacuated either by surgeon or by aspiration and/or drain placement. I wouldn't make a diagnosis based solely upon the photos, but I do suspect there is more hematoma present.  Make an appointment to see your surgeon. 

+1

Yes there appears to be a residual amount of "voluted" blood in your abdomen. Either re operation or interventional radiologic drainage will help. But your surgeon needs to act NOW! 

Hematoma after Liposuction and Minitummy Tuck

+1

A hematoma should always be drained if it is clinically significant.  If there is no distinct fluid collection, sometimes this is not possible.  A chronic fluid collection is not something you want, because this can cause a contour deformity and may have to be surgically removed.  If your surgeon does hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuctions each year, I would trust the judgement of the surgeon.  I cannot determine from pictures alone what should be done.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Liposuction.php