Dermaroller for Frown Lines on Forehead?

I am considering getting the Dermaroller to smooth frown line on my forehead. It is quite deep considering I'm only 20 so I need a solution and this looks like the best of what I can find so far. Any ideas if this works for this?

Microneedling for Wrinkles and Scars

+4

Dermaroller is simply a brand name for several available, hand-held devices used around the world for a process known as microneedling or collagen induction therapy (CIT).

The device itself is quite simple and the concept equally so. A small roller, much like a mini dough roller, is equipped with a series of 90 or more spokes or needles whose lengths may vary from 1.0-2.0mm depending up the intended use. The roller is passed repeatedly in varying directions over the wrinkles or scars to be treated creating numerous, microscopic, tunnel-like channels within the skin of the treated areas, much like a mechanical version of a Fraxel laser. The tiny wounds created in this way stimulate new collagen synthesis leading to the desired improvements. In general, a series of about four treatments at four to six week intervals is necessary to accomplish this. Downtime is typically minimal, some redness and occasionally pinpoint bruises, but these usually fade quickly and are easily coverable with makeup by the next morning.

I have been using microneedling for the past five years and have obtained gratifying results for treating fine wrinkles and scars, especially those around the mouth, on the neck and the crepeyness of the cheeks and on the sides of the eyes. Microneedling should be reserved for static wrinkles, i.e. wrinkles at rest. Wrinkles and furrows caused by the movement of the muscles of facial expression, dynamic wrinkles, are best treated by Botox or Dysport injections.

+1

If you have transverse forehead lines at 20 you need to check if you have an underlying eyelid ptosis ( droopy or weak eyelid). If the frown lines are vertical then you will need either Botox or Dysport first. Dermaroller is less effective in the situations you have mentioned.

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Dermaroller and the Forehead

+1

I agree with the posts by Drs. Persky and Chen. A muscle relaxer like Botox or Dysport is the answer for the transverse forehead line. They are caused by over activity of the Frontalis muscle and will relax with a proper application of either one of these agents. You must be careful though that your Botox injector (preferably a MD) knows what they are doing so you do not end up another Bad Botox statistics like some other of your Hollywood colleagues.

To learn everything you need to know about BOTOX, follow the comprehensive link below -

Dr. P. Aldea

Dermaroller - not for forehead frown lines.

+1

I think you would be very disappointed if you proceeded with the dermaroller procedure for forehead or glabellar frown lines which are primarily the result of overactivity of the underlying muscles. These lines can be addressed with Botox or Dysport. The dermaroller might improve certain forms of acne scarring, fine lines and perhaps achieve a modest degree of skin tightening by promoting neocollagenesis. Before getting on the dermaroller "band-wagon," I would need to see some well-designed, controlled studies proving the device's effectiveness.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Dermaroller for frown lines on forehead? Nope, Save it for old Aunt Emma.

+1

Hi Ben,

The horizontal lines of the forehead are caused by the movement of your frontalis muscle, which despite your best efforts at rolling, will continue to create the lines. Save the roller for your middle aged aunts lip lines.

Forehead lines are best treated with Dysport or Botox. Once the muscles relax, so will your lines. At 20 years old, relax and enjoy your youth. If it really bothers you, go get some Botox or Dysport.

Good day and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Botox is better

+1

First, I thought you truly deserved the Oscar in Traffic, but come now you are well beyond 20! Who are you trying to kid?

To answer your question, Dermaroller is intended for finer lines, scarring and perhaps as an anti-aging mechanism. We await well designed studies to see whether this relatively new modality lives up to its claims.

I agree with the others who have commented on your question. Why use something with questionable benefit to address your concern when there is the perfect solution in Botox or Dysport?

Personally, I am finding Dysport to be a terrific product for forehead lines as it diffuses more readily than Botox. Plus, this diffusion often extends to some of the lower forehead lines I have been reluctant to touch for fear of a brow drop.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist