Does Dermaroller Work for Deep Acne Scars?

i have tried subcision,erbium laser,scar revesion...but nothing worked for me, so is dermaroller better than this?? i m suffering from deep acne for nearly four year.i consultated a doctor..he suggested me subsicion..then he tried pixel laser..scar revesion..erbium laser...but these thing didnt worked well...he treated me for nearly 2 years...but all thing failed...i was satisfied...then i changed my dermatologist...he said me to undergo dermaroller which has excellent result than previous method....so is dermaroller really better for deep acne scar on my cheeks and temple region?

Deep scarring

+1
Deep acne scars may require filler to "fill them in". Results last for a few months. You can try microneedeling, however it may not achieve the results you want as deep scars tend to require something a little more invasive.

Dermarolling for deep acne scars

+1

Abhi,

The Dermapen, a type of dermaroller we use in our office, is not ideal for deep acne scars. Dermapen and dermarolling in general work well for acne scars that are superficial and still require multiple treatments. I will usually excise the deep acne scars and then offer my patients dermabrasion to improve the appearance of the scar. In darker skin types, dermabrasion is not an option but Dermapen or dermarolling is and can help with improving the appearance of shallow or superficial scars after the deeper scars are addressed. Much of it also has to do with postoperative care and acne control.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermaroller works for acne scars, but other treatments may also be required.

+1

Dermaroller/ collagen induction therapy does give good results for acne scars, however, not all scars, especially deep ones, respond to this treatment. If the scars are very deep, you could consider having a punch excision.

Renita Lourdhurajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist

Derma Roller for Acne Scars

+1

Ahbi, 

Thanks for the question.  In our practice, the surgical derma roller is part of the armamentarium for management of chronic deep acne scars.  This treatment is combined with fractionated laser treatments and a sound oral and topical nutriceautical regime.  Once the skin reaches an improved steady state, volumization of the scars may be attempted with injectable fillers, although these scarred down areas may be resistant to treatment. Overall, this combination treatment offers modest to significant improvement in our patient population, depending on the degree of baseline scarring. At present, there is no "magic bullet" for complete eradication of this condition.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Doubt It Would Help

+1

Call me a skeptic on this. If the other methods did not work, I doubt this one will. This technique uses small needles which penetrate the epidermis but do not go into the superficial dermis. If the Pixel, which is similar to the Fraxel did not work, and in addition the erbium laser did not work, I did whether the less aggressive treatment of the Dermaroller would work.

You might try to find someone skilled with the pulsed CO2 laser which remains the gold standard of this kind of therapy. Another choice would be a physician, be it a board certified plastic surgeon or a dermatologist who is skilled in deep chemical peels or dermabrasion.

Good luck. I know this can be frustrating.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Dermaroller for acne scars

+1

If all those other treatments did not improve your acne scars then I am sure you will not be happy with the dermaroller.  The best treatments I have found are a combination of Sculptra injections and FX CO2 laser.  The combination seems to give the best improvement.  Good luck.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon