Can a Dentist Use Noninvasive Medical Machines Like Coolsculpting and Can His Staff Use It Too?

Can a dentist use laser lipo machines or cryolipolysis machines? Since dentists can become cosmetic surgeons I am confused. Can he also delegate his non medical staff to operate these machines since its all noninvasive?

Dentists performing cosmetic procedures

+2

Dentists treat teeth. Many have adopted cosmetic aspects of dentistry as well. But I would be really hesitant to have a dentist treat other areas of the body, like the stomach. Even with a non-invasive device like this, risks still exist. Do you want a psychiatrist treating your heart attack or a cardiologist? I want a cardiologist. 

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

It’s very important to only have a CoolSculpting treatment done by a certified professional

+1

Dentists do have the ability to purchase laser lipo and CoolSculpting® machines. However, it’s very important to only have a treatment done by a certified professional who specializes in one of these procedures. Although dentist may perform cosmetic procedures for the teeth and mouth, this does not mean they are experienced in CoolSculpting® or laser lipo procedures. When considering these procedures, our practice always encourages patients to see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specializes in non-invasive fat removal.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting by Zeltiq for fat loss is most commonly used by dermatologists and plastic surgeons

+1

I have had great experience performing tumescent liposuction in my NYC cosmetic dermatologic surgical practice and have an appreciation for the contour results and amount of fat that can be reduced by liposuction. This has helped me gain a great appreciation for what CoolSculpting offers my patients and I can evaluate them as candidates for this noninvasive fat reduction technique vs. liposuction. While I might have great experience with CoolSculpting, and lasers, please don't ask me to laser whiten your teeth or place some cosmetic white veneers on your teeth. Although it may be easy to understand why dentists want to sink their teeth into cosmetic dermatologic and plastic surgical procedures, the scope of practice and experience of the provider is crucial in providing you with a good result.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/zeltiq/index.html

Dentists performing Coolsculpting

+1

I would have to agree with Dr. Gold.  When considering cosmetic procedures for the body, you should consider having a consultation and treatment with a practice that specializes in such things.  Our practice can offer a wide variety of treatment options for unwanted bumps or lumps from surgical procedures like liposuction or SmartLipo as well as non-surgical procedures like Coolsculpting, TruSculpt, Liposonix, Exilis. Treatments can be customized for each patient rather than one procedure for everyone.  Leave the body to the body experts and the teeth to the tooth experts.  

Web reference: http://www.freezethefat.com