Deep Plane Facelift Question. Why Do Some Doctors Do a Deep Plane Face-Lift vs A SMAS?

Why do some doctors do a deep plane face-lift vs a SMAS. From looking at pictures, it looks to me as if the deep plane works best for the jowl and neck area. Most pictures that I see after a Smas, I can still see residual looseness under the neck.

SMAS facelift should tighten the jawline as well as a deep plane lift

Thank you for your question.  A properly performed SMAS facelift should provide as good a result as a deep plane facelift throughout the face including the jawline and neck.

In the SMAS facelift the neck muscle the platysma is tightened in the neck and along the jawline as well as the mid and upper face.

I seriously recommend that all patients considering facelift surgery choose their surgeon based on the surgeon's experience  and reputation as a facelift surgeon and let the surgeon decide the best technique to achieve the best result and your face.

The deep plane facelift can achieve excellent results in the hands of an experienced plastic surgeon however deep plane facelift does increase the risk of nerve injury which is why many experienced plastic surgeons choose not to use this technique.