Why Are my Ears So Itchy After Facelift?

why are my ears so itchy 2 months after my robotic face-lift partial thyroidectomy?

Itching Ears Post Facelift

+1
It is completely normal to have itching after surgery.  There is a healing period that can last for up to 3 months.  The itching may be from nerves that are repairing from the trauma.  Also, there are dissolvable stitches that have been placed under the skin and they will go through a "breaking down" process as well.

+1

Dear Kelly,

Thank you for your post.  As your nerves heal, this causes an 'itchy' sensation.  This is quite common and goes away with time.

best wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Itchy ears after surgery

+1

It is likely that this means only that your nerves are regenerating normally after your recent surgery.  of course, it is always best to check with your doctor to make sjure that you are healing normally.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Itching after facelift usually indicates nerve regeneration or healing, but you should always follow up with your surgeon who knows you best and has the benefit of an exam.                                                                                                                             Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                                                       Los Angeles, CA

Itchy ears after a facelift

+1

Typically as the sensory nerves regenerate in a particular area, pruritus which is the medical term for itching occurs. This is a normal response and can take up to a year to resolve. That being said sometimes dry skin can also be the cause and a moisturizer may help.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nerve regeneration

+1

All the patients who have facelift surgery will have some numbness and itcing issues for a while after your procedure.The tiny nerves that regenerate cause these symptoms. It is actually a good sign. Most of these probles go away after 3-4 months. All the best.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Nerve growth causes feeling of itchy.....normal

+1

As your incisions heal around your ears you feel itchy.  This is normal nerve regeneration.  A simple example is what happens when your leg gos to sleep and wakes up.. Same.    The peaks at 3 to 4 months and then subsides.  Remember wound healing ALWAYS takes 12 months and you cannot speed it along.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Itching scars

+1

Itching is a normal response after any surgery.  It is caused by a release of histamine from mast cells.  This release triggers the body's healing response. Usually this response decreases by 2 months post op.  You can try to take a Benadryl at bed time to decrease the itching. 

Small sensory nerve branches are damaged by surgery.

+1

It takes time for recovery.  As the nerve regrow, the sensation recovers.  The sensation can be that of an itchiness or sometimes pins and needles.  Generally these sensations resolve.

Itching

+1

This is usually do to nerve endings in the area of  incisions.  Unusual sensations occur as they "wake up".  This should improve over time.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD