Deep Phenol Peel - When Will I See Results?

I had a deep phenol peel 6wks ago done on my face shouldn't I see a decrease in my wrinkles by now?

"Deep Phenol peel" should be causing improvement by 6 weeks.

+4

Although your final results may take as long as several months to be fully seen, at 6 weeks you should be seeing some degree of improvement, and most redness should be gone. You will still have edema (microscopic swelling) within the skin tissues, which tends to emphasize the residual textural irregularities or wrinkles present in your skin. 6 weeks is right about the time these are at their worst, and I tell patients that this is a very common time for the "blue funkies."  Enough patients have these concerns at this time when they have returned to full work and leisure activities, and they think everything should be "done" by now. Far from that, it does indeed take a full 4 months or longer to reach final improvement. Be patient with things, and address your concerns with your doctor!

By the way, other than what your doctor told you, how do you really know it was a "deep" peel? If this healed faster than 10-12 days, it probably wasn't quite as aggressive as perhaps implied. That may well be a good thing, as less likelihood for pigmentation irregularities or scarring may be better than the "deepest" peel possible.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Phenol peel results should be evident but there will be continued improvement

+2

Yes, by six weeks you should be seeing gthe results of the procedure.  I definitely agree that you should return to your physician to review the pre and post treatment results.  But no resurfacing procedure can take care of ALL wrinkles as some of them are caused by the underlying facial muscles (hence the popularity of Botox which successfully treats these "dynamic" wrinkles).  But no matter what don't despair.  I think you will continue to see improvement for at least the first 6 months following the procedure.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Results From Phenol Peel

+2

At six weeks you should be seeing some improvement in your face. I would suggest talking with your physician and looking at your before pictures if you are concerned. In some cases because of the time that things look really bad, we can forget what we looked like before treatment.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon