After Two Consultations, I Like Both Surgeons, How do I Decide?

I really liked and respected both camps so I am having trouble deciding which way to go. All things are equal as far as qualifications and price. Please help!

+4

Go with the better looking one.......just kidding...Assuming training, cost and results to be equal, I find the next level of decision making for many patients is the office staff. I send out evaluation forms to all of my patients and many say they love my staff and that other doctors employees turned them off. You will have some scheduling issues and may have questions needing answering my the nurse, so take all of that into consideration!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a Plastic Surgeon

+3

When considering Plastic Surgery, always choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  This may sound obvious, but many physicians perform procedures that outside of the spectrum of their practice and training.  Compare before and after photos, and talk to other patients who have chosen that surgeon.  Finally, you should select a surgeon and staff who are a good fit for your goals and personality.  You should like your surgeon and feel comfortable with him/her.  There are many skilled Plastic Surgeons, and you want to make sure that you are very comfortable with your entire experience. 

Dr. Skourtis

Mia E. Skourtis, MD

How to choose a surgeon?

+2

Firstly, you need to find a board certified plastic surgeon (no other "certification" has any formal training in breast augmentation despite the names given to the "boards"). Finding members of ASPS and ASAPS are beneficial and also looking at before and after images from the physician. With all things being equal, you have to pick the person with whom you had the most "connection."  You will have to trust your surgeon to make some decisions for you when you are under anesthesia and you want to make sure that your surgeons goals best match your ultimate outcome. In the end - go with your gut instinct.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

How to Pick the Best Plastic Surgeon

+1

How do I pick the best Plastic Surgeon is what you are asking. Here is my advice:

• Verify Board Certification by American Board of Plastic Surgery (do this online)
  • Member of American Society of Plastic Surgery (requirements beyond Board Certification)
  • Member of American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (indicates extensive experience in aesthetic surgery - see below link)
  • Look at online review sites - like RealSelf, Health Grades,RateMDs, Google, etc
  • Look at Before and After photos
  • What is my instinct or "gut reaction" as to who I relate to better, answers my questions more fully and who I basically trust the most.
  • Finally ask yourself - if I was to have a complication, who would be the best to take care of me.

Larry Nichter, MD, FACS

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Outcomes and The Quality of Your Relationship are Very Important

+1

Hi there-

Plastic Surgery, more than most other medical specialties, will produce outcomes and experiences that are dependent on intangibles unrelated to the physician's credentials.

On other words, I'm glad that you have found two surgeons with excellent qualifications. This is a great place to start from. 

Making the decision from here should be based on the quality of the relationships you will enjoy (or not) with the surgeon and the staff in the practice. Remember that over the next few months and for up to a year, you will be interacting a great deal with these people and that your safety and happiness will be in the balance. As much as most surgeons would like to believe that their qualities as a surgeon are all that should matter, it is simply not the case. The experience is as important as the outcome...

Which brings me to my second point- the OUTCOMES your surgeon is able to demonstrate should be very important in your decision making. In plastic surgery, this is, in fact, our work product, right? You would never buy a painting from an artist without seeing lots of examples of his artwork... If you were hiring an architect, you would want to see lots of examples of other beautiful buildings he had designed, right? This is no different- beyond his education, training, and experience, the only way to know that your surgeon has the SKILL and TALENT (things that are different to gauge otherwise) to make you happy is to see many (not one or two) examples of lovely, natural outcomes produced by him.

Once you've considered the above, the right choice should present itself to you. If after these matters are taken into consideration you are still uncertain, I would take this to mean that you are probably equally likely to be safe and happy in either of their hands!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Photos, Photos, Photos and patient testimonials to decide which doctor to work with

+1

Getting more than one consultation can be very confusing but it is very helpful as well.  I think the best thing to do is to look at as many pre and post op photos to see if you like the position of the scars, the shape of the breast.  There are soooooo many things to consider and you actually have many options with both surgeries. For example with the breast augmentation you have the choice of implant style, size, texture, position, incision location etc.  For example placing the implant above or under the muscle is a major decision - understanding the risks of each is critical to your being able to decide which risk you are more comfortable with: margin visibility (submammary-above muscle) vs.  double bubble & motion related asymmetries (submuscular-under muscle).  I also get my patients in touch with other patients who have under gone the same surgery so that they can ask questions and speak openly about their experience.

Look at the photos and go with the one that has the results you like best!

Good luck!!

Kimberley O'Sullivan, MD
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Did you ever have to make up your mind?

+1

If you are choosing between two well qualified surgeons - that's great!  There's an abundance of talent in your area!  Here are some other ideas to help you with your choice:

Look at their before and after photos.

Ask about how they handle complications.

Speak to other patients from their practice.

Which practice gives you "the warm fuzzies"?

Which one has done more of your procedures?

All the best!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Who is the best doctor????

+1

That is a very good question. If you make sure that the doctor is certified by the American board of Plastic Surgery. That way you will know that they have had the proper training in performing this procedure. You can also find out what reputable hospitals they could perform this procedure in. If they can not do it there they should not be doing it any where. If you have already confirmed the above then sometimes asking friends or hospital employees will help. Last but not least how do you feel about the doctor and his or her office? Have all of your questions been answered, have you looked at photos and are you comfortable with the doctor, staff and the office in general. The price will probably not be that different but you can take that in to consideration also. If you do this I am sure you will be very happy with your results.

Sincerely,

Wm. Aiello M.D. 

William Aiello, MD

Which surgeon

+1

If they have similar qualifications and price, I think the next step is for you to ask them how they perform the surgery, what they actually do and why they do what they do. Then think about their explanations and go with the one that makes the most logical sense to you

Julio Garcia, MD