Is 2 Weeks Enough Time off of Work After a Mommy Makeover?

Recovery Time After Mommy Makeover

I typically advise patients that undergo abdominoplasties with or without breast surgery to take at least two weeks off from work. After two weeks my patients tend to be able to go back to a job that is not too physically taxing, however they may still feel tired sooner than normal. You should not be lifting or engage in very physical type of work after only two weeks.

Santa Fe Plastic Surgeon

Keys to a quick recovery from mommy makeover surgery

With modern techniques, two-weeks should be plenty of time to recover from mommy makeover surgery. Today surgery is performed using minimally traumatic techniques along with liberal use of local anesthetics and in the case of abdominoplasty, a pain pump. It used to be common practice to tell people they could not lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks after surgery. I routinely have people lifting their children within a week of surgery with no difficulties.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Two Weeks is Usually Enough Time away from Work after Mommy Makeover

Hi there-

Unless your job involves a lot of walking or physical exertion, two weeks should be more than enough time off of work after your Mommy Makeover, but as people vary in their tolerances and recovery rates, you will need to consider your knowledge of your self and your work situation as well.

Recovery time from mommy makeover

The recovery time from a mommy makeover is between 9 days and two weeks.  However,  there are still restrictions on what type of activities you can do after that time. 

I use the term "mini mommy makeover" for a combination of breast surgery with a mini-tummy tuck.  Our patients take 9 days off for this procedure.

A full tummy tuck with breast surgery requires two weeks off from work.  Our experience is that patients can always go back to work earlier if they are doing well, but it is better to plan for two weeks off.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks off work after mommy makeover

Yes, 2 weeks off is the typical requirement, if you have a desk job.  If you have a physical job, or are standing all day, you will probably require more time off.

Most people tell me it takes them about a month before they feel like their energy is "back to normal".  So, it's important to plan ahead for this.

The amount of time needed to be off works depends on the kind of work you do, the amount of surgery done during the mommy makeover and your tolerance to pain and discomfort.  For most Mommy Makeovers, I would say that at least two weeks off work is required.

Julio Garcia, MD

Time off after a mommy makeover

Two weeks should be enough time off as long as everything goes well and you have a relatively sedentary job. You will need more time off if your job includes strenuous activity or heavy lifting. If you have a tummy tuck with muscle tightening, you must avoid lifting more that 15-20 lbs for six weeks after surgery. You may want to go back to work part time or on 'light duty' for a week or two. Good luck with your surgery.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Time off after Mommy Makeover

The answer to your question depends on several things.  First, what sort of work do you do?  Is it a desk job or does it require heavy lifting or strenuous activity?   Second, what procedures will be part of your mommy makeover?

Most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. I perform these procedures as part of a “mommy makeover” for patients who want an improved figure after having children. Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can take a serious toll on a woman’s body, and many moms find that no amount of diet and exercise can restore their pre-baby figures.

Procedures commonly performed during mommy makeovers include:

Abominoplasty (tummy tuck)Breast Augmentation +/- Lift, or Breast Lift only without implants, liposuction

These procedures can be performed in one stage or multiple stages depending on the patient's goals, health status and other screening criteria. After pregnancy, breasts can lose their youthful position and shape, the tummy can become stretched and lose its tone, and extra fat may get deposited in areas that are not so flattering. The plastic surgery procedures above are intended to correct those conditions and help restore your pre-pregnancy figure.

Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Recovery after Mommy Makeover

Mommy Makeover comprises a large spectrum of breast and body contouring procedures. While Lipo + Augment may only require a 2 week recovery, a Tummy Take with Lipo and Breast lift - Augmentation may require more time. The other question is what kind of physical exertion is necessary for your work, as that may be harmful to your outcome. It is important to meet with a Board-certified plastic surgeon to determine the best procedures and how long it will take you to get back to work.

Michele A. Shermak, MD