Is 2 Weeks Enough Time off of Work After a Mommy Makeover?

Depends on what procedures you've had

This really depends on what type of procedures you'll have done as part of your mommy makeover. If you have breast surgery and liposuction, then 2 weeks might be okay for sedentary work. However, if you've had a tummy tuck, then I suggest 3 weeks. 

It honestly depends on the job you're returning to...

The answer to this question is entirely dependent upon the patient’s employment.Return to employment will vary from patient to patient depending upon the demands of the job.In some cases, where patients sit at a desk, return to work may be as early as 10 to 14 days following surgery.In other cases where strenuous activity and heavier lifting are required, it may take as long as 6 to 8 weeks.
In some cases, Mommy Makeover surgery may not be an option because of the patient’s employment and limited recovery times.It’s therefore, important to thoroughly discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon before proceeding with surgery.

Is 2 weeks enough time off work after a Mommy Make Over?

Your return to work will depend on what physical demands are associated with your job. Typically a Mommy Makeover is a combination of some type of breast recontouring, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and and liposuction of the hips and thighs. Of these 3 components tummy tuck requires the longest recovery. You should plan on staying home for 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. After that you can begin to reengage many day to day activities. Athletic activities which create stress on the abdominal wall should be carefully reintroduced at 8 weeks progressing to 12 weeks. More aggressive exercises such as sit ups and abdominal crunches should wait for up to 12 weeks. Upper body restrictions will depend on the type of breast surgery performed. If a breast lift, without an augmentation, or a breast reduction is performed it is best not to raise your arms high above your head until healing is achieved. This normally takes up to 3 weeks. Unrestricted upper body activity can normally be resumed at 4 weeks. If an implant is used either for breast augmentation or in conjunction with a breast lift normal day-to-day upper body activities can normally be resumed in 2-4 days. It is best not to lift more than 10-15 pounds for 4 weeks after an implant is placed. Reintroduction of activity following liposuction is dependent on patient tolerance. There are usually no specific restrictions associated with liposuction.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time After Mommy Makeover

I typically advise patients that undergo abdominoplasties with or without breast surgery to take at least two weeks off from work. After two weeks my patients tend to be able to go back to a job that is not too physically taxing, however they may still feel tired sooner than normal. You should not be lifting or engage in very physical type of work after only two weeks.

James Green, MD
Santa Fe Plastic Surgeon

Keys to a quick recovery from mommy makeover surgery

With modern techniques, two-weeks should be plenty of time to recover from mommy makeover surgery. Today surgery is performed using minimally traumatic techniques along with liberal use of local anesthetics and in the case of abdominoplasty, a pain pump. It used to be common practice to tell people they could not lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks after surgery. I routinely have people lifting their children within a week of surgery with no difficulties.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Two Weeks is Usually Enough Time away from Work after Mommy Makeover

Hi there-

Unless your job involves a lot of walking or physical exertion, two weeks should be more than enough time off of work after your Mommy Makeover, but as people vary in their tolerances and recovery rates, you will need to consider your knowledge of your self and your work situation as well.

Recovery time from mommy makeover

The recovery time from a mommy makeover is between 9 days and two weeks.  However,  there are still restrictions on what type of activities you can do after that time. 

I use the term "mini mommy makeover" for a combination of breast surgery with a mini-tummy tuck.  Our patients take 9 days off for this procedure.

A full tummy tuck with breast surgery requires two weeks off from work.  Our experience is that patients can always go back to work earlier if they are doing well, but it is better to plan for two weeks off.

Pramit Malhotra, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks off work after mommy makeover

Yes, 2 weeks off is the typical requirement, if you have a desk job.  If you have a physical job, or are standing all day, you will probably require more time off.

Most people tell me it takes them about a month before they feel like their energy is "back to normal".  So, it's important to plan ahead for this.

How long to recover from a mommy makeover

Thanks for your question.  I will be helpful to others as well

If you have a full muscle tightening tummy tuck 2 week is usually a minimum.  While some may take less time  some may need more.  It would be a good idea to have a third week if you need it.

Even if you are recovering ahead of schedule you need time with a common sense level of activity so that the tissues heal adequately before resuming your normal lifestyle. Too much too soon could lead to bleeding or seroma.

Each plastic surgeon has his or her own recommendations. Your doctor will be able to guide you and minimize your risks as you return to full activity.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

The amount of time needed to be off works depends on the kind of work you do, the amount of surgery done during the mommy makeover and your tolerance to pain and discomfort.  For most Mommy Makeovers, I would say that at least two weeks off work is required.

Julio Garcia, MD