8 Days S/p Nipple-sparing Mastectomy; Skin Next to Areola is Bright Pink/sloughing?

In 3 directions (sup, lateral, inf to nipple, + lateral nipple) it looks the same as when a blister bursts and new skin is exposed-- raw with granulation tissue. Started 3 days ago as a pink line adjacent to aureola, now is about 1/2" wide in each direction. How should I take care of this? (triple antibiotic ointment, cover w/ non-stick pad vs. letting it dry out? Shower vs no-shower for a few days?)

Wound Healing Issue after Nipple Areola Sparing Mastectomy

+1

If you had an implant based reconstruction, i would be concerned about potential exposure of your implant.   1/2 inch wide gap is rather large.   My concern is that the weight of the breast implant or tissue may cause this to widen more.

It is possible that you may require an outpatient procedure to correct this.   I would maintain close contact with your plastic surgeon and follow their wound care recommendations.

Regardless, this will heal and you will get past it!!  I wish you a safe and healthy recovery!!

Dr. Gill

Skin sloughing after nipple-sparing mastectomy

+1

When you underwent nipple-sparing mastectomy, did you get immediate breast reconstruction with implant or autologous tissue? If the exposed area is superficial and granulating without exposed implant, you can treat the area with local wound care, Neosporin or wet-to-dry or Betadin (if you have drainage).  However, you should see your plastic surgeon for her/him to examine you and give you the recommendation. 

Sugene Kim, MD