When Can I Start Scar Massage Post Mastectomy?

I had a prophylactic mastectomy with expanders put in 6 weeks ago and I keep forgetting to ask my doctor about scar massage. My incisions have completely healed and the scabs have fallen off. How soon should I have started massage? Do I need to do scar massage if the doctor is just going to break up or remove scar tissue during the exchange for implants? I was wondering if I should just do the scar massage after the second surgery instead. Also, how long should I do physical therapy for?

Massage after breast reconstruction and breast augmentation

+1

Hey Jess !

I have my patients start massages at 10 days after surgery and continue till 6 weeks post operatively unless specific cases need more or less massages!!

Good luck!

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Scar massage with tissue expanders

+1

If you have tissue expanders, you will most likely have implants exchanged and the old scars removed at that time.  But I usually ahve patients start massaging scars about 3-4 weeks after surgery if all went well.

Scar massage after mastectomy

+1

Dear Jess, hopefully this finds you well on the way to healing.  I really doubt you need scar massage at this time.  The constant pressure of the expander will work even better than massage.  Now after the second stage  you may need to do scar manipulation, but I would wait until after this is done and you discuss it with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster from Boca raton

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon